Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A small gold mine in the trash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really old and I mean early 60's IC and how many 60s ICs were there anyway, had a lot of gold in them. While browsing thru a telegraph exchange that was being bulldozed I came upon across some circuit boards with ancient ICs on board, the top of the ICs was a white clip-on cover and when removed you could see the gold wires to the pins each with a different coloured varnish. The main part of the IC was in a ceramic type encapsulation.
the pin numbering was also differentit went
1 2
3 4
5 6

really, really old I donated them to the Communications museum

Dean,
you bring up a good point and although I didn't mention it, I remove just the more common use ICs while leaving the boards in a box. Yes, ESD can be a problem and they are better left mounted to the board, also making it easier to quickly scan a board for a needed chip, versus rifling thru a parts drawer of them.

Someone Electro,
The reasoning behind having a quiet room is to better hear horiz. oscillators in a television to confirm they are working, as well as listening for other low level mechanical sounds in problem equipment. For the most part, a television or stereo is running off side for entertainment. And that can be a real distraction just like it was last night as hot solder dripped off the pencil onto my leg ... nice blister!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back