Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A simle question regarding relay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf

Hi guys...
I want to switch a load of 300 watts with one single relay having the capablities to handle 360 watts.
i have 5 tublights in my house and i want to switch all at a time.Each tublight uses 60 watts So total 5 tublights uses 300watts.. And I have a relay of 12v with 30 amp. current rating.. which equals to 360 watt. So can I switch 5 tublight at a time with this single relay or I need a particular relay for every tublight........
Thanks......

What is a "tublight" ? I have never heared of that before.

As the tublights are in your house, does that mean that they operate from 240 volts?

If the tublights are 12volts, then yes your relay should work OK, but be carefull there may be a large current surge ar switch-on which may damage the relay contacts.

If the tublights are 240 volts, then you must use a 240v AC relay, not a 12v one.

JimB

To add to what JimB has said. Relays have different ratings. The coil voltage is what energizes the relay, and the contacts do the switching. If the tube lights are incandescent then they will have a surge current(large current when first turned on), if they are LED then the current will be steady. The watt rating of the lamps is the operating voltage times the amperage which is aa critical thing for the relay contacts.

Last edited:
Tublight are normal light which is used in homes .. it runs on 250v AC..
But I am using Micro-controller to energize and de-energize relay.... and the relay has 12v and 30ampere rating which means It can handle 360watt...

I am using this relay to turn on/off the lights with the help of micro-controller.....
I have same 5 lights in my house and I want to turn on all the light at a time with this relay.... as One tubelight has 60watt rating.
So total 5 tube-light has total 5 X 60 = 300watt... and my relay has 360Watt capabilities....

SO is this possible to turn all the light at a time with one relay or I'll need a particular relay for every lightss....

and so the answer is no... you need a relay that has contacts rated at 250VAC. It is possible with just one relay, but not that relay (12V @ 30A).
You should look into solid state relays...

and so the answer is no... you need a relay that has contacts rated at 250VAC. It is possible with just one relay, but not that relay (12V @ 30A).
You should look into solid state relays...
I will connect neutral wire like a switch in relay in a place of 250VAC

Well, you can't use wattage directly. Lighting contactors are rated for "tungsten" loads. The major problem is that the resistance at turn on is about 10 to 12 times less than it is at room temperature. Agreed, it's only for a short period of time.

Ligting is a definate purpose contactor. See: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Fhm7iQAKBlb8aqQ&bvm=bv.51156542,d.cWc&cad=rja

So you might be better off using a motor contactor and not a , "relay".

Maybe a "tublight" is a tubelight which is a fluorescent tube light about 4 feet long. They are used in grocery stores, not in homes.
Many years ago the kitchen in my home had four 40W fluorescent tube lights.

Don't forget that a flourescent light (tube light) will take a fair gulp of current as it fires/starts. This needs to be taken into account across all lights as they start re-contact current rating.
Try looking for a relay with mercury wetted contacts if you can still buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back