Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a question please about an AC/DC replacement adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmoondreamer

Hello, my name is Karen, from Texas. I have a question please. I have two sets of
Creativations Fireflies outdoor lights. I purchased them back in 2006 off of Ebay. I packed them up carefully and put them away, only to be horrified this week when I discovered that the original AC/DC adapters to both sets were missing. I am one confused woman trying to get adapters that will work with this, and are cheap. These are the exact lights I purchased:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/05/brochurelwalfordfirelfies.pdf

I looked at a home made tutorial for these on Google, and the instructions call for a 12v converter from Radio Shack. The page above says the lights power supply is 110 AC converted to 4.5V DC. Can you please tell me if this power adapter below will work for me? Does mAH numbers matter? Amps? I have already blown out 2 lights using an incorrect adapter.

FRYS.com

I am sorry to bother you all with such a silly question but I am a 50 year old woman that is technically challenged and have no one else to ask. Thank you very much for your time. Sincerely, Karen

Its not a silly question... If we all knew everything, it would be a boring place. The adapter you posted has a maximum 300mA output... The trick here is to know what the firefly's require. If the current draw of the firefly's is less than 200mA I would suggest you go ahead and buy them.. Can you tell me approximately, how many LED's are in the circuit?

Ian

The problem is you don't have the adapters so you're missing two pieces of key information, 1 the mA rating and two the polarity of the plug, which are both listed on the power supply adapter. Is it listed anywhere on the units themselves, if it is it'd generally be at the plug in spot. You can get an adapter that can supply more mA as it won't force current into the device, voltage does that the mAh rating is only how much it's possible for the supply to produce, so it needs to be a 4.5 volt supply capable of whatever mA the units draw, if you get a supply that can't produce enough current the voltage may drop and cause them to work improperly, but given what these things are they shouldn't draw more than a few hundred ma of current. The plug polarity is actually a big problem as if you get that wrong even if you have the right voltage it may smoke them, THAT at least should be on the device itself, it's usually right at the power plug in point and will show a ring and a center prong one will be positive the other negative. Typically it's ring negative and pin positive but that's just common not a garuntee. Other than that obviously the plug has to fit.

Each firefly string has 6 led lights and 6 tiny fans. If you can believe it I think I paid about $89 for each string! The company would not divulge any info except to say I could buy new adapters from them for $59 each, lol!

Okay, I am enclosing pics and information off of the wire. Inside the plug is a male adapter. On the wire, in tiny print next to the plug, it says

AWM 2468 VW-1 80*(the star is actually a small circle) C 300V E191230 20AWG EVER BRIGHT

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If there is a 30-90 day return policy for these things, buy one new set, open the carton, look at the AC adapter (often called a Wallwart) and see exactly what its output is and then return it. We already know it is 4.5 volts. The output current will be shown in fractions of an amp (A) or milliamps (MA). If it is regulated, it should say that on it. The polarity of the plug (+/-) should be there too. You will also need to know the size of that plug unless you intend to use a "universal" adapter like Radio Shack sells.
If your lucky and a Radio Shack store with one competent EE works there, he/she may be able to do all of this for you.
At $100 a pop, I wouldn't do much experimenting.

Where's home, maybe some one lives close and can check it for you with a meter, 2 - it sounds like a USB adapter would work, they are usually rated at 1 amp, you just need to adapt from there, 3 - can you tell us whats written on the face of the transformer/walwart/adapter.

On the wire, in tiny print next to the plug, it says

AWM 2468 VW-1 80*(the star is actually a small circle) C 300V E191230 20AWG EVER BRIGHT

Just to reduce the confusion level a little bit, that info only refers the the wire (20AWG = 20 gauge wire), so it's not relevant or helpful here.

If it were me, since we know you need a 4.5 volt wall wart, I'd just go ahead and get a cheap one and try it. Chances are good (95%) that the polarity of the plug is standard (positive inside, negative shell), so I wouldn't sweat that. If it's underpowered (not enough current or mAs), the lights just won't be bright enough: it won't harm them. Of course, I live in a place where I have a recycled-goods store that sells wall warts for about a buck apiece; any chance you have a similar facility near where you live?

Last edited:
Are you willing to purchase a cheap multimeter 7 Function Multimeter, 5 D Cell batteries, a length of wire, tape and a small resistor (penneys)?

You'll have to tape the batteries together and tape wires to the ends. The paper from inside a paper towel holder would help, or you can buy a 4 cell holder 4 D Battery Holder : Battery Holders | RadioShack.com and a one cell holder and 2 or 3 packs of these: 10-ohm 1W 5% Metal-Oxide Film Resistor (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com

I'll have to figure out what size resistor(s) you should get.

Then we can find out exactly what you need.

KISS, that's not simple enough.

With all due respect to the O.P., who I assume is a reasonably intelligent person, I suspect she doesn't want to get quite that deeply into the solution to her missing wall-wart problem. (I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong.)

Jiust get a 4.5 volt wall wart with a reasonable output (500 mA) and try it. Heck, we can pretty much guesstimate the load, can't we? A bunch of LEDs and some fans; how hard could it be to ballpark that? Do that, rather than suggest that she go out and buy a bunch of gear she'll likely never use again.

My suggestion, in any case.

Yea, I know. Just taking the Maguiver approach. A $5.00 meter and a few overpriced resitors. Twist the resistors together (parallel) to get a resistance near an ohm. Can probably use cheaper resistors like 1/2 or 1/4 W. Tape them together and wire the resistor bunch. Verify that you have 4.5 V.

Can try resistance mode or the diode test to get the proper polarity. Can also use a fuse. Then put the meter on DC across the resistors and attach the leads to the device. Measure V, Knowing and aproximate R, we can find the amount of current needed.

Yea, I know. Just taking the Maguiver approach. A $5.00 meter and a few overpriced resitors. Twist the resistors together (parallel) to get a resistance near an ohm. Can probably use cheaper resistors like 1/2 or 1/4 W. Tape them together and wire the resistor bunch. Verify that you have 4.5 V.

The OP is a novice in electronics, and you are using technical terms like resistors, diodes..diode test etc.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Try to help the questioner find a suitable power supply without requiring that she bow down to the gods of Electronics and learn a lot of technical stuff. (Unless that's what she wants, which I suspect is not the case.)

In other words, keep it simple, like that person's handle here ...

Hey guys, thanks for all your input and explanations. I really appreciate all your help! Yes, I really have no interest in electronics really, and don't know how to get really in depth with the problem. The lights were expensive, but if I can't just buy a suitable replacement adapter I will probably just chunk em. I am still looking at this adapter, which is AC Adapter W/4 Way Plug Converts 110V AC TO 4.5V DC Thru 12.0V DC. 300mA Reversible Polarity, for around $9. what do ya'll think?

Fry's Electronics |

I'm with carbonzit after seeing the picture, but I would go a little higher. 20ma per LED and 100ma would be a 700ma draw, anything in the 500-750ma range should probably work fine. Going with a positive tip would be a good start but be prepared to lose one more if that's wrong. The tip is probably a 6mm tip so be a little careful out the end you get on whatever you find. Check Amazon.com 4.5v supplies aren't common so you may have trouble finding them, if you feel adventurous they still might work at 5 volts. I would not recommend trying to find these in any local store, ESPECIALLY radio shack, they'll probably sell you a universal wall wart and tell you to use the 5v setting, and they markup their adapters bad, you should be able to find a replacement for 10-15 dollars plus a buck or two for shipping.

Hey guys, I sure appreciate you all trying to help me figure this out. You are right, I'm just a housewife not really able to learn all the technical side to it, just wanting a quick fix. Although the lights were expensive, if I can't find a suitable replacement adapter for fairly cheap I will probably just chuck the lights. The original adapter I was asking you about, is an AC Adapter W/4 Way Plug Converts 110V AC TO 4.5V DC Thru 12.0V DC. 300mA Reversible Polarity

Fry's Electronics |

Am I close? I googled and discovered someone else purchased it recently but when recieved it was actually rated 500mA.

I have a couple of the old "universal" adapters that came with several different plug/jack ends and were settable to several different voltages, from 3 to 12 volts. Are these still available? Mine even have polarity-reversal switches, so they'll basically work with anything that takes a wall wart in that voltage range, up to 750mA or so.

Yes carbonzit they are, but they'll be more expensive than one with the fixed voltage the poster actually needs.
The only thing I can't stress enough is do NOT try to buy replacement adapters from a store for these, anyplace that carries them will rake customers over the coals, it's a supply and demand thing. The only place to find them cost/time effectively is online websites. I've used Amazon before for some random things like this and their return policy is bullet proof, if what you bought wasn't right you slap the sticker that's on the invoice they give you on a box with whatever it was back in good condition with all the original packaging and you get your money back, shipping is usually included in the price as well.

Google is your friend.

What kind of adapter do Creativations Fireflies use?

Third hit...

**broken link removed**

About halfway down the page:

"The AC power unit outputs 4.5 volts DC at 1 amp; center of plug is (+) positive, barrel is (-) negative. "

It doesn't give the diameter of the plug though.

If you go to the Creativation web page it seems they don't sell this exact model anymore.

edit: I'm pretty sure Walmart sells a 1300 mA adapter that should work. Its one of those that comes with about 6 different sizes of tips that are reversible to change between center positive and center negative. I believe it can be set as low as 4.5 volts.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Walmart sells a 1300 mA adapter that should work. Its one of those that comes with about 6 different sizes of tips that are reversible to change between center positive and center negative. I believe it can be set as low as 4.5 volts.

That's egg-zactly what I'm talking 'bout. A multi-voltage wall wart adapter. Can't believe they're all that expensive. Now, we don't (or should I say the O.P. doesn't) need the variable-voltage part, since we know we need 4.5 volts, but having all those different-size power plugs sure comes in handy when you don't know exactly what size connector your device takes, since there about half a zillion different sizes out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back