Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about Windows Virtual Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

Here are the details of the situation:

"PC game on start-up shows message: Not enough memory in Virtual Memory Swap File, minimum 149MB required for this game."

I set the Virtual Memory to: 1034Mb min. and 3000Mb max.

I still get the same pop-up message regardless and the game is getting interrupted often as well as hanging up. Hitting the ENTER key seems to continue the game until it happens again.

The game's system requirements are as follows:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VIDEO CARD:
Direct 3D compatible video card required. 3dfx Voodoo 3 or NVIDIA TNT2 recommended. Supported 3D cards include: 3dfx Voodoo2, 3, 5; NVIDIA TNT, TNT2, GeForce, GeForce2, ATI Rage Fury Max, Matrox G400.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OPERATING SYSTEM:
PC CD-ROM, Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 (DirectX 7.0 or greater)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CPU TYPE & SPEED:
Minimum - Pentium II, Celeron 400, or equivalent required Pentium II 400 MHz or equivalent recommended
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HARD DRIVE SPACE:
200 MB available
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SYSTEM MEMORY:
64 MB required (with AGP video card: 128 MB recommend)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CD-ROM SPEED:
4x CD-ROM Drive
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DIRECTX:
DirectX 7.0 or greater required (included on CD)
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SOUND CARDS:
Windows compatible. Voice-Over-Net [VON] requires full duplex sound card
[/FONT]

Now the PC I have it installed on has:
Pent.4 1.7Ghz
1Gig RAM
Windows XP Pro
Direct X 9.0
nVIDIA Quadro2 Pro 64MB (I even switched to a ATI Radeon 128MB card)
Creative SB 5.1 processor audio

Could it be the XP environment that the game doesn't like? IThe one thing I didn't do yet was to change that "environment " setting so it somewhat mimics Win98.

I'd say try Win98 compatibility mode -- I've had a few games before from right around that time that will randomly crash/quit under XP. Compatibility mode usually solves it. I'm guessing you tried to restart after adjusting the virtual memory/swap stuff. It could also be a DirectX thing/video driver thing -- Call of Duty (the first one) runs at about 9 frames per second on my computer since about two nVidia driver updates ago. Used to run at 200+ frames per second.

I'd try running compatibility mode first, then downgrading video drivers/directx. If you want to run the game that badly.

What game is it? I'll obtain it and see if I can replicate the problem.

The recommendation from M$ is to let the OS manage the virtual memory, do you get the same problem if you do this?

It should work under Wine... :p

Anyways, what game is it?

UTMonkey said:
The recommendation from M$ is to let the OS manage the virtual memory, do you get the same problem if you do this?
I tried both settings, auto and selective with the same negative results. The game is Delta Force Land Warrior, old by today's standards, but something my son wants to play. I've thought of loading Win98SE onto a second HD in his PC to handle older games like this one. I never thought about downgrading the video drivers and Direct X versions... that may screw it up for other games on his PC, esp. those that require Direct 9. The more I think about this Compability mode, the more I'm thinking of installing a 3rd HD in my PC loaded with Win98SE for such issues.

With a game that old you will probably find that the programmer never expected anyone to have 256 meg of ram never mind 1 gig. He probably assumes that the higher bytes are zero and does a word check instead of a double word. Try setting the VM to 255 meg and see what happens. If this works then setting it to 511 or 767 should also work.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back