Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about the capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wall-ED

I have always known that the capacitor blocks DC and passes AC current.
However in the Capacitor discharge graph
**broken link removed**
This doesn't seem like AC to me, I'm guessing there's another discharge from the negative pole of the capacitor that is connected to ground, that is why it is not in the graph?
I know I could be completely wrong, it would be great if someone clarified it for me.

Last edited:
I have always known that the capacitor blocks DC and passes AC current.
However in the Capacitor discharge graph
This doesn't seem like AC to me, I'm guessing there's another discharge from the negative pole of the capacitor that is connected to ground, that is why it is not in the graph?
I know I could be completely wrong, it would be great if someone clarified it for me.

The plot you posted is that of a 1 Farad capacitor discharging through a 100 Ω resistor. The equation of the Voltage vs time is the familiar V(t) = Vo*exp(-t/RC), a decaying exponential. t is in seconds (not minutes)

I have modeled this circuit where I charge the capacitor to an initial voltage of 300V.

If we define τ=R1*C1 = 100, then the discharge curve would be the same for any values of R1 and C1 where R1=τ/C1. So for example if R=1meg, and C1 =0.01F (100uf), the discharge curve would be the same. See my plot. I offset the red plot so you could see it...

Attachments

• DF126.png
    DF126.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Just to clarify, as Mike noted, this graph is the discharge curve of a capacitor initially charged to a DC voltage. It has nothing to do with coupling an AC signal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back