Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a question about schottky barrer diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnitwenty

hi everyone
I am new here,it seems everyone is kind.
I have a question about schottky barrer diode.I konw that it consists of N type material contacted with metal, and the electrons flow from the semiconductor to the metal because the electrons in N type material have a higher energy level than the electrons in metal. If so, any material in which electrons has different energy might be made into diode,such as N type semiconductors, P type semiconductors and metals. Is that true?

thanks in advance.

hi,
Basically that is correct, some of the very early diodes were metal to semiconductor.
The 'cats whisker' detector was a piece of galena crystal with a metal whisker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galena

Its possible to make rectifiers out of many combinations.
I have played around with copper washers, blackened on one face with the soot from a lighted candle flame, bolted in a stack
they do make a recitifier, its a very poor diode, but it works.

You can make a 'transistor' with razor blades and the semiconductor from a broken diode.

Do a Google search for homemade diodes.

Thanks for your reply. i have another question. According to your reply, two different metal can be made into a diode. Why can't we see the effects of that kind of diode ( It is formed by two different wires contacting each other) ? What are the possible reasons?

johnnitwenty said:
Thanks for your reply. i have another question. According to your reply, two different metal can be made into a diode. Why can't we see the effects of that kind of diode ( It is formed by two different wires contacting each other) ? What are the possible reasons?
A secondary point of interest is, if two dissimilar metals are brazed together they for thermo couple junction

hi,
**broken link removed**

Google for: metal diodes

Moddel demonstrated rectification of a 200GHz signal using his metal-insulator-insulator-metal (MIIM) diode. The novel structure creates a quantum well at the boundary between the two insulators that promotes extremely fast tunneling of electrons from one metal layer to the other. Moddel has recorded an electron transit time of one femtosecond, which is far shorter than the transit time across semiconductor interfaces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back