Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a question about MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

howk

I juist design a charge pump circuit. I fond that if i use combination of N-MOSFET and P-MOSFET is beter dan only one type mosfet. i do not know why.

could someone tell me pls. thanks a lot.

Post a schematic.

Attachments

• cp..png
    cp..png
    31.8 KB · Views: 175
To turn on a MOSFET the gate voltage must be higher than the source node, positive gate-to-source voltage for an N-MOSFET, and negative gate-to-source voltage for a P-MOSFET. Thus the type you use depends upon the polarity of the signal you are switching and the drive signal. In this case the voltage and drive signals are +5V. Thus for the FETs that control the +5V (M33, M37) you use P-MOSFETs which can be turned on by connecting their gates to 0V and turned off by connecting their gates to +5V (since their source nodes are at +5V). Similarly for the FETs that switch the voltages to ground (M35, M38) you use an N-MOSFET which can be turned on by connection their gates to +5V and turned off by connecting their gates to 0V (since their source nodes are at 0V).

yes thanks for your reply. I knew what your said. but i don't know why combination of N-MOSFET and P MOSFET is beter dan only use one type MOSFET. for example only use N MOSFET the output is 13.5 v . but if i use the combination of those twee is 14.6v. i don't know why. could you tell me please.
To turn on a MOSFET the gate voltage must be higher than the source node, positive gate-to-source voltage for an N-MOSFET, and negative gate-to-source voltage for a P-MOSFET. Thus the type you use depends upon the polarity of the signal you are switching and the drive signal. In this case the voltage and drive signals are +5V. Thus for the FETs that control the +5V (M33, M37) you use P-MOSFETs which can be turned on by connecting their gates to 0V and turned off by connecting their gates to +5V (since their source nodes are at +5V). Similarly for the FETs that switch the voltages to ground (M35, M38) you use an N-MOSFET which can be turned on by connection their gates to +5V and turned off by connecting their gates to 0V (since their source nodes are at 0V).

If you use only N-MOSFETs, then when switching the +5V, the output from the source is reduced by the turn-on gate voltage of the FET since it is operating as a source-follower. To fully turn on the N-MOSFET you would have to supply the gate with a voltage equal to 5V plus the gate turn-on voltage (≈5V). Thus if you applied 10V to the N-MOSFETs' gates to turn them on, then you output would be the same as if you used P-MOSFETs.

If you use only N-MOSFETs, then when switching the +5V, the output from the source is reduced by the turn-on gate voltage of the FET since it is operating as a source-follower. To fully turn on the N-MOSFET you would have to supply the gate with a voltage equal to 5V plus the gate turn-on voltage (≈5V). Thus if you applied 10V to the N-MOSFETs' gates to turn them on, then you output would be the same as if you used P-MOSFETs.

thanks for your reply. i will still reseach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back