Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a question about crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

today i bought a 20MHz crystal for my PIC16F877. it has a big body and three terminals. the third terminal is connected to the body of the crystal. ive read somewhere that this helps reduce EMI. should i connect this to the ground or not. i mean is there any need for such measures. i dont think there would be much EMI generated by just flashing a bit of LEDs :lol:

Doesn't sound necessary but shouldn't hurt. I wouldn't bother to connect it to ground if it was going to pose any difficulty to do so.

I've use 16F877s quite a few times, always at 20MHz (using 2 22pf caps) as long as the crystal and caps are close to the PICs pins you should have no trouble.

:eek:
I thing that your cristall is in fact a complete cristal oscillator. These oscillators have a cristall inside and a IC. One pin is for GND(this is usually connected to case), a second pin is for supply voltage(usually 5V), a third pin is for signal output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back