Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a purpose for speacial purpose computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

frommars

so am working on a special purpose computer but i still dont know purpose for it or application am thinkin about a digital clock with alarm for multiple event but i need something else.
so any ideas??

Sounds like a special purpose class asignment wmmullaney.
That's engineering in school today for you! Build a special purpose computer, problem is you have to design the purpose for the computer first. Isn't this engineering from the wrong end? What is this teaching?

its hardwired computer programed by hexadecimal keypad. but am working on things that not gonna differ based on the application like the (fetch and execute) and the save circuit still dont know the memory size or input and outputs.

Last edited:
Sounds like an answer in search of a question - or a solution in search of a problem.

Is it correct to assume that you have the use of a special purpose computer and are trying to find a practical application for it?

I think the input to the computer is punched cards and its memory is hundreds of "core" ferrite beads. I worked on one about 35 years ago.
The teacher should look at the last 35 years of advancements in computers.

My old 486 computer with its broken hard drive still sort-of works. It does a lot more things than just a clock.
A single counter IC is a clock.

well the project originally are used to light some led in different times but i wanna do something more with it i know i can use a simple ic but the course is about doing it hardwired only beside i can reprogram it.
i think "the special purpose computer" term is the problem so lets just say a simple plc circuit.
i thought about the carputer and the"controlling your house" thing but how can i apply that practically i guess maybe on a small scale but thanks for the help anyway..

Last edited:
My clothes dryer is giving me timer and heat control problems. :(
How about a computer based control system that goes by exaust heat and relative humidity to know when the clothes are actually dry! :)

I could use one of those!
SOON! :D

Thats basic, but still a special purpose computer control aplication.

Last edited:
computer controller clothes dryer

How about a computer based control system that goes by exaust heat and relative humidity to know when the clothes are actually dry! :)

Thats basic, but still a special purpose computer control aplication.

What, you gonna wash clothes soon?:D:eek:

I like doing the laundry! I dont know why but I just do! :p

I am just getting tired of having to babysit the dryer because it does not always time right. And most of the time my clothes either come out damp or nearly burned. :(

I think I smell an almost usefull PLC project comming soon! :)

Or it could just be my clothes in the dryer. :eek: :D

The dryer I have has a sensor to determine when the clothes are dry. There are two large, flat adjacent electrodes on the inside front near the drum that the clothes rub against as they tumble. I assume it measures the resistance of the clothes due to any moisture. When the resistance is continually high, indicating the clothes are dry, it puts the dryer in it's cool down cycle to shut it off.

Last edited:
Im not so lucky. I had mine all apart a few years ago to replace a bad roller bearing.
all it uses is a timer and an adjustible temperature sensor with a capillary tube, The mechanical timer is just plain worn out and the little mechanical parts inthe temp control assembly are worn out to.
I would like to keep it because its a large capacity heavy duty and its built like an old farm tractor. Simple rugged and made to last. But the controlls are just getting to worn out.
I work with PLC and PLR systems so I figured some time this spring I may just make it into a smart dryer.

My dryer is f-dup, too. I'm starting to wonder if the vent is blocked or something. The lint trap's clean, but I'm not sure about the hose.

Watch your hoses too... A local school was just shut down for a day because of a dryer fire. lint builbs up in hoses too =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back