Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A possible solution [Re: Walters]

Should we PM him?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

I would have added this to the other thread, but I can't figure out how to do so when I have another poll.

Here is what I am thinking. Since Jay claims that he cannot permanently ban a user, I think he should deserve the same s*** he has been giving us for the last several days (or even weeks).

Here is my idea.

I think everyone needs to send him a PM to his mailbox, and when he signs on, I want him to see that he as new messages equal to the number of annoyed users. and the more people he has driven nuts, the more he has to read, and eventually, he will become sick and tired of what he has been dishing out to us.

What do you guys think about that?

PM means Private Message.

I don't think we should act like him, that would be childish. I think ONE PM from a Moderator, explaining him what he is doing wrong would be a good idea.

In case he doesn't change his behaviour, maybe Mods should start to lock&delete his posts on sight...

if we lock them, there will be 1000's of new threads that will start. If you delete them, that would be good, but it will require moderator action, and until the mods arrive, what happens, he floods the site again with another 11-page thread?

mstechca said:
if we lock them, there will be 1000's of new threads that will start. If you delete them, that would be good, but it will require moderator action, and until the mods arrive, what happens, he floods the site again with another 11-page thread?

Only the administrator can ban or block users, if anyone did start multiple threads repeatedly they will be PM'd a warning, and then the administrator will be asked to ban/block them. It's happened in a small number of cases!.

The 11 page thread (which I've just locked due to the rise in personal abuse) is mostly by people replying!, if no one replied it would only be one post long!. As someone who has contributed SEVENTEEN! posts in that thread, perhaps you might be considered partially responsible?.

I take a fair amount of responsibility to the personal attacks on Walters.
I really didnt want the thread to decent into a hate-thread its just soo frustrating when he just wouldn't listen to the reply's.

I'm planning on leaving all Walters threads alone from now on, he just winds me up.

Walters isn't evil.

The most i can say about him is that he's dense, REALLY DENSE, but not evil.

And thus i don't think banning, or PM spamming or other really negative actions should be done on someone who isn't evil.

Nigel has said that the responders to walter's posts are partially responsible for the current problem, there may be some truth to that. But I would ask to consider (from reading the thread) that walters was given lots of leeway and a good amount of help (even though he didn't listen) before the flames started flying.

Sure if no one replied, it would be one post long, but if no one replied to anyone then this forum would collapse in a day. Walters had legitimate questions when he began, it was not possible at that time to know this would happen. And even if Walters had a proven track record of being dense, replying to his posts would still be a good exercise to find out if he had changed or improved his attitude at all.

Anyway, walters isn't evil, and although he's troll-like he's not a troll, so until he proves himself such (popping off 500 seperate threads of crap) we shouldn't treat him like he's evil.

The 11 page thread (which I've just locked due to the rise in personal abuse) is mostly by people replying!, if no one replied it would only be one post long!. As someone who has contributed SEVENTEEN! posts in that thread, perhaps you might be considered partially responsible?.

Maybe we (styx, me, and whoever) were a small part of the problem, BUT we were only trying to help him and make him understand our points.

I don't think he is a bad person (DID YA HEAR THAT WALTERS???).
But I do think he needs to improve on how to handle our answers to his questions.

But I would ask to consider (from reading the thread) that walters was given lots of leeway and a good amount of help (even though he didn't listen) before the flames started flying.
That's why 80% or more of our posts in the 11-page thread were made.
The remaining posts were made because we wanted him to understand that his behaviour was unacceptable.

If walters decides to post again, I hope he reads our comments first, or at least make a decent, non-offensive post.

he 11 page thread (which I've just locked due to the rise in personal abuse) is mostly by people replying!, if no one replied it would only be one post long!. As someone who has contributed SEVENTEEN! posts in that thread, perhaps you might be considered partially responsible?.

This is my primary stand . if ur not willing , then don't post ANYTHING, it will die off..and banning/locking/deleting won't be a permanant solution to any problem

This morning I gave Walters a very usefull tip on his quest for magnet knowledge. As I stated in the post if he tries the same thing in the other forum he'll be booted that quick he won't know what hit him. But after all the mud was slung yesterday let sleeping dogs lie and give him another chance. But if what we said goes in one ear and out the other then I suggest we all give him the cold shoulder and not respond to his posts. I don't belive in holding a grudge unless it's deserved :wink:

Anyway that's just my piece

Cheers Bryan :D

I'm more put-off by the constant put-downs. Even I find walters a bit over-zealous at times, but that never once stopped me from helping him anyway I could.

Anyway, I do have to suggest I few things, that could avoid this kind of thing:

Stop flame wars ASAP
They get out of hand fast.

Add a Forum Rules link to the top of the page
That way, when there's a violation, there's no excuse for not knowing. Walters isn't doing anything wrong in my opinion, but if that's the official position, it ought to be official. If it isn't, then a somebody needs to step in and say: "This guy's cool, so back up offa him, before you get capped, sucka." Well, maybe not in those words, but you get the idea.

Stop the postcount whoring
We've all seen it: the multiposting, the one-word replies. It just sets the bar really low, you know? Oh, Roxane. You don't have to put on the red light.

Expand the moderating team
You know, crack some heads! Once the moderating outgrows the traffic, the forum practically runs itself...so to speak. If some mods are inactive, put someone new in their spot, but first invite the retirees to come back anytime. It's a party.

Impliment a warning system
IPB boards restrict your post rate if your warning level gets to some percentage. At my Z80 forum, we had a certain member spamming us into the ground back in '04. Long story short: the warning stopped this stone cold. Those were good times. 8)

Jay.slovak said:
DigiTan, I guess Nigel can handle this.
#

There's nothing really to handle?, if threads get abusive I'll either lock them or delete them. Other than that it's up to people if they want to reply to his questions? - but as I see it, he has practically zero knowledge, and he's not prepared to learn the basics (ohms law even?), he expects to be able to learn advanced theory from a single question in a forum.

Maybe Walters has a translation problem?
Maybe Walters hasn't learned how to read?

You see? That's the kind of insult I'm talking about. I've got advice for all the hecklers out there: check the cynicism at the door; it reeks of personality disorder.

And I won't even go into the hypocracy of sending walters a spam PM.

DigiTan said:
You see? That's the kind of insult I'm talking about.
Insult?
Many members have a translation problem, but admit it.
I think our youngest member is only 13 years old. Walters has been asked his age but didn't answer.

Walters (or his assistant next to him if any) can read what he wants to read. That's why 1/2 the time, you see our replies in his questions.

The point is that we have given him reasonable answers based on our knowledge, and maybe more. He does not know how to make decent use of the answers, or he wouldn't ask 50,000+ questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back