Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Noob With A Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibahawk

hey wasup all.. have some diverse experience with toying with wires, shocking myself, etc. etc.

In any case - I was guided here by someone from a car audio forum on my search for the following: ANSWERS :D

In any case I'm looking to learn how to make LEDs react to music or from signals coming from my subwoofers.. or basically I want a light show in my trunk...

any tutorials, words of advice, possible products to look into? Take into account I'm mostly clueless but a fast intuitive learner.. I could definitely use some websites to check out with any kind of information - I just need the basics laid out for me

Thanks

chibahawk said:
hey wasup all.. have some diverse experience with toying with wires, shocking myself, etc. etc.

In any case - I was guided here by someone from a car audio forum on my search for the following: ANSWERS :D

In any case I'm looking to learn how to make LEDs react to music or from signals coming from my subwoofers.. or basically I want a light show in my trunk...

any tutorials, words of advice, possible products to look into? Take into account I'm mostly clueless but a fast intuitive learner.. I could definitely use some websites to check out with any kind of information - I just need the basics laid out for me

Thanks
u can have a bar/dot graph type display using the ic lm3914 , have a look at the datasheet , that have some typical usages.

k.. thats kind of a different language to me :oops: but ill look up "ic lm3914"... what do you mean by check out the datasheet? is there something posted on this site your refering to?

Datasheets are written for people with enough electronic knowledge to use the part. If you don't understand the clear English technical wording, then you will probably just blowup the IC and LEDs.

okay mr. hardass - i can thoroughly understand English and Im overexaggerating by saying its written in Chinese and I DO understand some of the technical aspects.....

instead of telling me to basically forget about it..

how about you recommend a website where I can learn more?

no need to get snobby man im trying to learn

There are many electronics tutorial websites. I don't know if anyone can learn electronics from them and which one is good for you.

chibahawk said:
okay mr. hardass - i can thoroughly understand English and Im overexaggerating by saying its written in Chinese and I DO understand some of the technical aspects.....

instead of telling me to basically forget about it..

how about you recommend a website where I can learn more?

no need to get snobby man im trying to learn
Hey, I like this guy! :lol:

A while ago, I ran across this pdf titled 'How to Read a Datasheet.' "Sounds kind of lame," I figured, but it actually hit it right out of the park. Like for example: you should design for the max and min operating ranges, and not the typical specs. That was news to me. And the "Absolute Max" ratings tell you what will damage the part, not what it will withstand. That's right on the money in my book, and it does it all without beating around the bush with a bunch of technobabble.

Hey mate,

Have you had a look at the follwoing kit from Jaycar?

**broken link removed**

Thanks

Stolzie

hey stolzie - that definitely seems what I'm trying to do..

however thanks to Digitan for the link - while now I have a Plan B in just buying that kit that stolz suggested I will try and complete this myself.. I'll probably stick around here with more questions - feel free to keep this thread up tho

adios for now

Y dont u just buy a prebuilt kit for cheap it would save the hassle of soldering the parts individually...
I did build a LED sound meter myself ages ago.
It was an easy build but wot i advise is se different colour LED'S and high Power ones especially for the car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back