Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A new twist on RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Last edited:
I can envisage rotating antennas (all RF components rotating) with a single channel delivering a timing signal for synchronization.

98% hype and 2% nothing new.
https://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/14/3/033001/article
IEEE Paper:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ekJ_eyhuHXNHINw8w&sig2=L5WfCbk7CYM8YTyTpfbJ2Q

Our main conclusion is that exploiting OAM states does
not bring anything conceptually new to the area of radio
communications. It is well covered by traditional MIMO communication,
using channel eigen-modes for transmission, in
the sense that OAM states of radio waves will be automatically
exploited whenever the array configurations and propagation
environments call for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

Last edited:
er, ummm, scad, methinks you been had...........

reminds me of the QST article about the 1800RPM rotating beam antenna that had 20db gain omnidirectionally

you did see this diagram, didn't you?

Can't be had unclejed if it's already been functionally tested, but from the paper that NSA provided it does show that it seems a few scientists candy coated existing technology and advertised it as a breakthrough, the broken helix dish is looking like a pretty good gag though.

also be aware that there are already circular polarization modes in use in microwaves, and this seems to be a further development of that, but don't expect to be able to use this at lower frequencies where the antenna structures are physically large.

You must not have read the paper nsaspook posted unclejed.

This isn't horizontal or vertical polarization (or circular) it's entirely different. As the paper goes into in extreme detail current technologies already inherently uses this method just in a slightly different methodology. It's no breakthrough at all it's just a re-branding of something that was already deemed not to need developing because it's already naturally built into existing MIMO formats.

Sounds to me now like scientists trying to drum up grant funds. It may have some possible uses but we won't get anymore bandwidth out of the air than is already there, I was a little disillusioned by my first read => It seems far more mundane and trivial now that I read the paper.

And no, it's not practical with large antennas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back