Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a "Mind Molester"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably as Simple as a 556 oscillator/Timer, connected to a Pizo Speaker.

Almost any amateur should be able to design and make it.

Gary

yep 556 whith one have runing on for 1 s and off for 3 m and the other half oscilation at 2kHz.

Prety simple.

I made one of those evil things in college. It was built on a 555.
Actually, to be REALLY evil, it MUST have a light sensor. Then you can place it when they turn their back and it won't turn on right then. It'll turn on when they try to go to bed. Then they'll turn on the light to go find it, maybe unplug some appliances, don't hear anything, go back to bed... and it chirps again.

Man, annoyance that begins right as you try to go to sleep is FAR more annoying than right when you come back from class. Very low tolerance for this.

I had the light sensor designed for total darkness and it stayed off when dropped behind his couch. It worked as designed and he ended up unplugging everything in his room, took the batteries out of everything, man he was pissed. He went through several cycles of looking for it (lights on), waiting in the middle of the room tensely to figure out the direction, heard nothing, nothing, nothing... 5 min later goes to bed... BLEET. I don't think he ever figured out the part about it being connected to the lights being off.

I was afraid that thing was going to end up in the wrong hands. I had reason to be afraid. Testing showed there was no way at all to locate that high frequency sound that bounced all over the room. Very difficult even if we left the speaker on continuously. With the mess in our room I knew we were screwed if they dropped it in on us.

*I* knew to sleep with the light on though to keep it quiet.

You cod also start runing around in the dark whith an superbright LED. And Try to shine in such corners and if it stops you just leve the led siting there and "disarm" that bepeper in the morning.

Eh Oznog,
That's one of the best devices to pee someone of I've heard to date. Looks like a kind of device to stick in ya local politicians office if he won't do what you ask and next time you see him ask if he's gone crazy over the beep yet :twisted:

lol, i thought of adding a light sensor to it too :twisted:

thanks guys, i'll try to build one and will keep you updated.

:twisted: :lol:

DiGiTaL_SiN said:
lol, i thought of adding a light sensor to it too :twisted:

thanks guys, i'll try to build one and will keep you updated.

:twisted: :lol:

Make sure it isn't designed to chirp first when the light goes out, then wait. You want it to wait, then chirp. If I recall correctly the way I did it was the timing cap was pulled low by a 2n2222 with a photoresistor from its base to the 9v rail and a fixed resistor from the base to ground. So it's a voltage divider and when the voltage is above the 0.7v threshold the base gets current.

That arrangement was also handy because the cap is discharged below the normal 1/3 point for the 555. So it takes about 50% longer to do the first chirp after a light just went out. If a light goes on it will discharge the cap and thus reset the time. Having to wait longer for the first chirp, thus thinking it's gone, expands on the consternation IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back