Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A microcontroller based, digital speed control system for d.c. motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSter

Can anyone be kind enough to help me with a circuit for an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) that will accept a PWM signal to control the speed of some DC motors?
Whereby the ESC will use PWM from a microcontroller to control the speed of the motors, so that it could be used for a mobile robotic platform avoiding/stopping before obstacles.

Thanx.

HSter said:
Can anyone be kind enough to help me with a circuit for an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) that will accept a PWM signal to control the speed of some DC motors?
Whereby the ESC will use PWM from a microcontroller to control the speed of the motors, so that it could be used for a mobile robotic platform avoiding/stopping before obstacles.

Thanx.

Your paragraph doesn't make sense. If you are generating PWM, then the duty cycle of that PWM is the speed control for the motor....

Do you really mean that you are in need of a drive circuit, like an H-Bridge to DRIVE a motor from PWM? I'm confused.

It sounds like he wants to know how to control a commercail RC ESC with a microcontroller.

Instead of building his own H-Bridge, etc... I am faced with this same problem for a robot I am building. It is much simpler to work with a commercial ESC instead of building my own.

I have had some success with a Novak Explorer II, I can successfully accelerate, idle, and brake the ESC from the microcontroller.

It has BEC so I actually get the power for my microcontroller from the ESC. It works out nicely.

BSDGuyShawn said:
It sounds like he wants to know how to control a commercail RC ESC with a microcontroller.

Instead of building his own H-Bridge, etc... I am faced with this same problem for a robot I am building. It is much simpler to work with a commercial ESC instead of building my own.

I have had some success with a Novak Explorer II, I can successfully accelerate, idle, and brake the ESC from the microcontroller.

It has BEC so I actually get the power for my microcontroller from the ESC. It works out nicely.

Yup BSDGuyShawn!

You're right, what i'm actually trying to do is to interface the SRF04 sonar input to control the RC car. So that it doesn't bump into an obstacle in front of it.
I would like to use a PICmicro, interface it to the SRF04 which gives out a PWM by the way, which'll inturn control the ESC that accepts PWM as input. This should allow the flexibility of running a couple of programmed routines to control the Car, depending on an input from the user, such as to automatically follow a moving object using the sonar, stopping for an obstacle at a specified distance from it, etc. as modes of operation.

actually the microcontroller should have a program in it, so that it can be used in a toy car to follow an object in front or avoid an obstacle, etc depending on what routine in the uC is being used. a sensor like the SRF04 can be used.

I've attached this url for some info on the srf:
www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/srf04tech.htm

thx

Analog said:
Your paragraph doesn't make sense. If you are generating PWM, then the duty cycle of that PWM is the speed control for the motor....

Do you really mean that you are in need of a drive circuit, like an H-Bridge to DRIVE a motor from PWM? I'm confused.

Hi Analog

actually the microcontroller should have a program in it, so that it can be used in a toy car to follow an object in front or avoid an obstacle, etc depending on what routine in the uC is being used. a sensor like the SRF04 can be used.

I've attached this url for some info on the srf:
www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/srf04tech.htm

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back