Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A little Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyle shaw

I am changing the lithium ion 18650 batteries in my laptop, as the old ones are finished. I was wondering if anyone knew the general layout when using 6 cells in a pack? I drew a diagram of how it was originally wired, but it was thrown away...or even how the dell GD761 pack is wired? I have a red, black, yellow, and white wire with a black jumper in between two of the cells. Anything...if not the original layout of that particular battery, then possibly the best way to wire them for best available performance? Series, parallel, series/parallel combination??? I'd greatly appreciate any help at all with this matter. The on board PCB is intact and needs no soldering, etc. I just need to know how to connect the 6 batteries and which wires to place where. Thanks a million....

The Dell GD761 listed in Google shows 11.1V. Since each Lithium cell averages 3.7V then it has three cells in series. But there are six cells so they are either three pairs of paralleled cells or two paralleled strings of three cells in series. The protection circuit in the original battery pack also needs its many wires sorted out to prevent a nasty fire. The original cells probably used a balanced charger that needed a wire to each junction of the cells. The original battery might have a heat detector that uses one or two of the wires.

I think you should simply buy a replacement battery to avoid a fire or explosion in your lap.

Thank you...after reading a ton regarding laptop batteries, different configurations, etc., I have come to the conclusion it probably won't matter much if I implement two sets of three series or three sets of two...As you suggested, it would be much easier to buy a replacement, as well as safer. That's why I want to gather as much info and suggestions as possible before I get going on this. That being said, thanks for the concern. I'm in no rush to posses a working battery and being honest, I want to do this because of all the warnings and attempts to defer me from rebuilding. I understand the possible dangers and will go about this in the safest manner possible. I can't believe how hard it is to find the schematics for this battery...unless my Google is broken. The only information I'm lacking at this point is the explanation of the wires. Red should be positive, black negative, yellow (positive?), and white (negative?). If anyone had that information, it would be greatly appreciated...If not, I will keep exploring the internet until I find it. THEN, I will begin working on blowing myself up! Gracias!

I would guess that the yellow and white wires are the intermediate connections. If they are smaller wires than the red and black ones, that could confirm it.

I have no idea whether the yellow or the white wire would be the more positive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back