Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergus123

Hi there,

i have this thin film that emiits light and i have a transformer , 230v ac to DC (unknown) and i was wondering how they are connected?

here's a link to some picture of the things

Seems to me that transformer is the correct to energize that LEC Light Emitting Capacitor. Should work on AC not DC, and the frequency is about right.

Thanks i was wondering what i need to hook them up because there are no connections on the film

Last edited:
If there is no connections on the film, it will not be easy. Perhaps it is a factory reject, promotional sample or unfinished product. There is two conductive layers, one top and one bottom that need to be fed with AC.
If nothing is attached, and as last resource, lightly scraping could gain access to somehow apply conductive epoxy. Try to not do it one above the other, but using different opposite areas on the LEC.

edited, added ---> **broken link removed**

Be careful, it is not low voltage what you will be playing with.

Last edited:
Ahá !... check continuity between those strips, should show open circuit. Check the terminal at the transformer output cable and see how they can mate.
Connect and power up. Avoid touching exposed conductors, and come back with results.

Last edited:
Hola Fergus,

It seems to me that you have not clear idea of what you are dealing with.

Is yours a standalone transformer (AC at the input, AC at the otput), because you say "to DC". Or Is it a DC power supply of some kind after all? Most likely it is this last.

All the electroluminiscent materials I know, work driven by AC where two things are important: frequency and voltage.

Your link points to pictures. It would be much better to get a datasheet or minimal indications of what you need to drive that material. Could you?

Hello Agustín, Colin.
Yes, the 'transformer' Fergus pictured on his link is actually an AC powered oscillator, output data is on its label, fits well to drive that LEC that has to be in the neighborhood of 100V 1KHz.
I have a couple of dozen LECs that work nearly fine on plain mains 115V/60Hz, with a limiter resistor in series for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back