Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a little bit of math into our lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

Hi there
i have a problem
i'v been trying to figure it out for hours and hours but just cant

y=(1026x)/(x+10000)

how to get x

i dont want a number value for x i just want to give y a value and then see, what x will be. this is for my temperature sensor project with pic and this is needed to translate resistance to adc value.

(if 10000 is too big, you can use 1000 also)

You cant.... You can find a number by trial and error technique....

This is a linear equation with 2 variables, you need atleast two equations to sole such an expression.

y=(1026x)/(x+10000)
xy +10000y=1026x
xy-1026x=-10000
x(y-1026)=-10000
x=10000/(1026-y)

Is this what you wanted?

Last edited:
bloody-orc said:
this is for my temperature sensor project with pic and this is needed to translate resistance to adc value.

Have you considered the possibility that you may just be doing this completely wrong?, I can see no reason to have two x's in the equation.

For a start, what are you using to read the temperature? - if it's a thermistor these are very unlinear - best solution is probably to use a lookup table to correct the linearity, and, at the same time, the same table could give you the temperature as well.

Last edited:
thanks a bunch for the answers. it was more for me to get some idea what is where etc. it wasnt straight for that.

lord loh. said:
sorry...You can...

y=(1026x)/(x+10000)
xy +10000y=1026x
xy-1026x=-10000
x(y-1026)=-10000
x=10000/(1026-y)

Is this what you wanted?

lord loh. said:
... I was more focused on the math.... The biggest pitt fall of an engineer / Applied Science person.

Engineer? Yikes! .... What kind of math is that????!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordinary old boring algebra. The kind they teach in grade school.

Myocranial Infarction, no doubt.

Papabravo said:
Myocranial Infarction, no doubt.

I had to check Google to find out what that means.... Is there a typo? Google suggested -> "Myocardial Infarction" which apparently turned out to be the name of a disease. :eek:

I thought "Infarction" had something to do with fractions....:D

A myocardial infarction is a fancy name for a heat attack or heart failure. So I was trying to make up a fancy phrase for a temporary brain malfunction, which was kind of suggested by the nature of the typed response.

lord loh. said:
y=(1026x)/(x+10000)
xy +10000y=1026x
xy-1026x=-10000
x(y-1026)=-10000
x=10000/(1026-y)

Is this what you wanted?

You lost a Y there somewhere.

X=10000Y/(1026-Y)

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.