Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A litle help, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vali308

Hy,
I'm new on this part of technology. I've been reading a lot about PIC's and i have decided to make some litle projects with these PICs.
What I want from you is to give me some schemes of PIC programers (I do not have the necesary money to buy it) and what soft I have to use.
I forgot to say that I want to use a PIC 18F4331 that I've got from Microchip as a sample, so if you have to give me something compatibile with that I would be more than happy.
Thanks.

vali308 said:
Hy,
I'm new on this part of technology. I've been reading a lot about PIC's and i have decided to make some litle projects with these PICs.
What I want from you is to give me some schemes of PIC programers (I do not have the necesary money to buy it) and what soft I have to use.
I forgot to say that I want to use a PIC 18F4331 that I've got from Microchip as a sample, so if you have to give me something compatibile with that I would be more than happy.
Thanks.

Have a look at my site listed below, it gives plans for a number of parallel port PIC programmers. My WinPicProg software currently doesn't support the 18F series, but it's in the process of being added. In the meantime ICProg supports them and is free as well.

A question about the cable:
How do I connect whit the paralel port of the computer. I mean what tipe of cable should I use? Or is a scheme on this?

Another question:
Does work to program my PIC with P16PRO + MPLAB?

vali308 said:
A question about the cable:
How do I connect whit the paralel port of the computer. I mean what tipe of cable should I use? Or is a scheme on this?

You just need a plug to socket wired pin 1 to pin 1 etc. These are commonly available as serial leads - but make sure you get a fully wired one.

Another question:
Does work to program my PIC with P16PRO + MPLAB?

MPLAB (or it's assembler MPASM - which is what I use) produces a HEX file, this is then loaded into the programmer software (WinPicProg or ICProg) and transferred into the chip. MicroChip's own programmer (the PicStart+ works directly from MPLAB) - you can also buy a few other ones which do as well, but they are considerably more expensive than the simple parallel port designs.

The programer that I've got from your site is on paralel port and I have a question:

It realy works on PICs?

Because a friend just finished o programer for an Atmel 80CS52 (or something like that) and he needs a computer that has a small frequency processor.

I was thinking now at a programer on serial port, if it doesn't work on paralel.

vali308 said:
The programer that I've got from your site is on paralel port and I have a question:

It realy works on PICs?

Yes, parallel port programmers are the most popular as they are more reliable than most of the (so called) serial port programmers.

Because a friend just finished o programer for an Atmel 80CS52 (or something like that) and he needs a computer that has a small frequency processor.

He's using very badly written software then!.

I was thinking now at a programer on serial port, if it doesn't work on paralel.

Thye are generally far more troublesome, which is why I made the decision not to support them in WinPicProg. The author of ICProg (which does support them) no longer offers support or replies to emails, presumably due to all the problems people have?.

vali308 said:
Does it work with MPLab? If not tell me a compatibil one with MPLab from Microchip.

MPLAB produces HEX files, which you can then load into WinPicProg, so in that respect it's compatible.

However, if you want a programmer that works directly from within MPLAB the PicStart+ from MicroChip is the obvious answer - although it is expensive.

There are a few cheaper alternatives, but they are still many times more expensive than a simple parallel port programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back