Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A legit question/plea...for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's how it is. I have a legitimate question for my language arts class; I'm writing my final project paper on the future of engineering jobs (next ten years or so), and I need an interview as a source. This forum is absolutely perfect, there are so many great people on it. :D

The question (which needs to be commented on) is:

"Will there be enough engineering jobs available in the next ten years?"

If anybody wants answer the question, PM me or e-mail me. It'd be great, and you'd be quoted as a source ;) .

In case anybody's wondering, the question has to be relevant to the writer, and I'm going into computer engineering but always hear stories about the lack of jobs, etc.

So far, based on my research, computer engineering is going to be one of the largest growing jobs in the next ten years, a few years after I'll have my doctorate...

theinfamousbob said:
Ok, here's how it is. I have a legitimate question for my language arts class; I'm writing my final project paper on the future of engineering jobs (next ten years or so), and I need an interview as a source. This forum is absolutely perfect, there are so many great people on it. :D

The question (which needs to be commented on) is:

"Will there be enough engineering jobs available in the next ten years?"

If anybody wants answer the question, PM me or e-mail me. It'd be great, and you'd be quoted as a source ;) .

In case anybody's wondering, the question has to be relevant to the writer, and I'm going into computer engineering but always hear stories about the lack of jobs, etc.

So far, based on my research, computer engineering is going to be one of the largest growing jobs in the next ten years, a few years after I'll have my doctorate...

Engineering jobs:

Mechanical
Chemical
Environmental
Electrical
Civil
Aeronautical
Industrial

On and on..

Will there be enough jobs for all these disciplines? Yes there will be. Human population growth alone causes growing need for many of them.

I never heard of computer engineering? You mean computer science? Engineering means engineering degree from a school of engineering.

I never heard of computer engineering?
It has existed since the 70's.

You mean computer science? Engineering means engineering degree from a school of engineering.
Where I used to work everyone in the R&D lab was an engineer. It did not matter what your degree was; or if you did hardware, firmware or software. I do not know how common place this is.

Last edited:
I am less optimistic about Engineering Jobs.
It takes a handful of engineers to design a product. After that robots can build an endless quanity of the product. Including the robots that build robots.

But since very few people have real jobs (not fast food or Wally world) who will buy the products?

At present the US jobs are moving to other nations for the cheap labor. In the end robots are cheaper then people and robots will never expect to see a higher standard of living (I think/hope).

3v0 said:
It has existed since the 70's.

Where I used to work everyone in the R&D lab was an engineer. It did not matter what your degree was; or if you did hardware, firmware or software. I do not know how common place this is.

So as I understand it, it is a EE degree with a specialty in computer related course work? Well to me that still just EE. Computer engineering sounds goofy. Some EE specialize in power electronics, digital, analog etc... computers is just mor eof the same.

3v0 said:
I am less optimistic about Engineering Jobs.
It takes a handful of engineers to design a product. After that robots can build an endless quanity of the product. Including the robots that build robots.

But since very few people have real jobs (not fast food or Wally world) who will buy the products?

At present the US jobs are moving to other nations for the cheap labor. In the end robots are cheaper then people and robots will never expect to see a higher standard of living (I think/hope).

I am fortunate. Most of the design work done by my company requires great skill & trade secret knowledge. These jobs wont be outsourced anytime soon. They have experimented to a limited extent and it was a complete failure.

Optikon said:
I am fortunate. Most of the design work done by my company requires great skill & trade secret knowledge. These jobs wont be outsourced anytime soon. They have experimented to a limited extent and it was a complete failure.
I am currently working in a signal integrity (SI) group. We are insourcing our work. :D By that, I mean we have hired (not exclusively) Indian and Asian "kids" with advanced degrees (MSEE, PhD) to do the analysis. I have no idea if they would be productive in a product development environment, but they are certainly smart and well-educated (in the USA). This doesn't help the citizen job-seekers, but it seems like SI (basically high-frequency electromagnetics) is not a popular field of study for them.

... like 3V0 states, engineering positions will flattop somewhat. Here at the university we crank out plenty of budding EE majors every year who hope to land a successful position. Plenty of them find employment in a non-related field while the cream of the crop are seeked out by prospective companies.

Optikon said:
I never heard of computer engineering? You mean computer science? Engineering means engineering degree from a school of engineering.

It's a hybrid of EE and CompSci

Didn't I read recently that the USA's H2 visa yearly quota was filled up on the very first day it was opened? That should give you a feel for engineering openings over the next decade of so, at least here in the US.

Lefty

Apparently, an engineering degree is a great stepping stone for becoming a minister (not sure why, but that's what Im told).

Optikon said:
Engineering jobs:

Mechanical
Chemical
Environmental
Electrical
Civil
Aeronautical
Industrial

On and on..

Will there be enough jobs for all these disciplines? Yes there will be. Human population growth alone causes growing need for many of them.

In the US we're having the exact opposite problem. We're having trouble getting engineers to fill those jobs. More and more of our large investors like Microsoft turn their money elsewhere because our universities aren't turning out the engineers in the quantities that they once were. So there will definitely be jobs for engineers in the next 10 years, there just won't be enough engineers to fill them.

P.S.

Computer Engineering is EE with a different focus in the final year of the program. Instead of a controls course they might take a VHDL or a VLSI course.

Waste disposal.
Product replenishment.
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back