Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A laser pointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG1337

Hi!
I have a broken BD-ROM from PS3, I don't know what is wrong with it, but now it is really broken (the mainboard I think). So I have now a Blu-Ray laser diode, I already tested it and it does seem to give a red light, really shiny red light and I guess the 3rd options is "the monitor". But by adding 2xAAA batteries I get a light that is more like a LED light (not concentrated, but does give much heat), so that means I need some other parts to make a laser pointer.
Can someone please explain what are these parts and maybe I can make them my own?
I have seen that people put in a "laser driver" or "laser module", but I don't know what are they.
Btw, I have seen that people get a blue light, but I couldn't get a blue light from the laser diode, could it be that the diode is broken? (I didn't add any circuits)

This link should get you going. You should have a laser diode that resembles what you see in the link.

Ron

You don't have the blue-ray laser, you have the DVD laser. The blue-ray laser will be, uh, blue. :)

Well that makes sense why it is called Blu-Ray... lol
So that means my diode is actually broken, more specifically, the Blu-Ray part.
I'm left with a DVD diode and a CD diode I guess, but still I have a diode, I would like to put it in use.
Now I have "scattered" light, how can I make it a beam?
I read that I need a laser housing module that does that, something like this: Aixiz Laser Module Housing - Blank [Aixiz] - $3.39 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!
And I need a laser driver that would "save" the diode, something like this(I think): **broken link removed**
So the missing part of my "pointing stick" is the lense, right?

[EDIT] Oh, sorry, my bad, the Blu-Ray works!
I just used not enough power, I used 2xAAA that is 3V, but blu-ray needs 4.5, so I added 12V (lol, but just for one time) and a blue light shine.

Last edited:
You are aware that the light from these can cause eye damage?

In the link I provided they use a 9 Volt battery and 150 Ohm series resistor.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back