Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A kinky idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocuZ

Hi guys :)
I have something in mind but I don't know where to start from. So for now I'll only
ask (may be sometime stupid) questions. Here's the basic idea: let's say I've
got Ethernet and HDMI - two different interfaces. My aim is to controll the
HDMI part trough the Ethernet. I think this have to do something with
controllers, but I don't what. And to do the task a little more kinky I'll say
that I have to run all this trough a simple browser (IE, Opera etc.) so that
I eliminate any software applications runnig on the PC that's connected to
the Ethernet part.
It sounds awfully and I don't know where to start from. I would be very
thankful if you give some ideas, guidlines, literature titles ... any help. :)

Last edited:
Skill level huge. I've seen zero HDMI homebrew projects. Plus HDMI is more a A/V format and Ethernet is generally TCP/IP
They are different things, what are you hoping they'll do together?

Yah. I thought so: completly different.
Well I want to do a device that can connect Ethernet machines (PC) with HDMI
machines (TV, DVD, STB, GAME, AUDIO).

So you are (blueroomelectronics) telling me just to buy a motherbord or
notebook that has these interfaces and forget the problem?

But is this idea completly impossible?
There are managable (Ethernet) switches. I Googled a little and I also
found switches for HDMI devices. So there must be some way that I
could start doing my idea, right?

Last edited:
So you are (blueroomelectronics) telling me just to buy a motherbord or
notebook that has these interfaces and forget the problem?

Yes. They come it small form factors and fanless is possible. People have been doing it for ages.

Or buy an Apple TV
It has both WiFi, Ethernet & HDMI all for $230 US you can even attempt to hack the OS.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

But is this idea completly impossible?
There are managable (Ethernet) switches. I Googled a little and I also
found switches for HDMI devices. So there must be some way that I
could start doing my idea, right?

Not impossible, but based on your previous posts you are a beginner with electronics and this is something very complex. Much like comparing a bicycle to a 747.

He's still almost completely vague about what he wants, but I suspect it's to stream video over ethernet to a flatscreen monitor/TV.

As already suggested it's called a computer, BUT you can get Linux based ones that perform this exact purpose - often called Media Players - they generally have ethernet, WiFi, internal HDD, and connect to a TV via a wide range of interfaces. You need a computer to transfer films to it.

Here's one such example (there are many).

Freecom Media Player 350 WLAN Drive (500GB HDD) | Disk Depot

A friend lent me one, he bought it empty and fitted his own HDD, and he filled it full of HD films before lending it me :D

Actually, I know that I am a beginner. I also know that I don't know nothing
(but that's a whole different story).
Can you suggest how to start: from the actual parts (meaning: connectors, chips and
stuff for the two technologies), or from the idea of communication between these
different interfaces (controllers, functions, signal conversion and sampling). Any kind
of literature that might be helpful to me?

Actually, I know that I am a beginner. I also know that I don't know nothing
(but that's a whole different story).
Can you suggest how to start: from the actual parts (meaning: connectors, chips and
stuff for the two technologies), or from the idea of communication between these
different interfaces (controllers, functions, signal conversion and sampling). Any kind
of literature that might be helpful to me?

You still haven't clarified what you're wanting to do?.

Assuming it's what we think, then you have to build a fairly high spec computer, then write all the OS and software for it.

Of course im guessing here, but Id suspect its more of a home automation problem, from re-reading the post I make it that he wants to have all his gear connected (hi-fi, tv, games console, etc) and wants to be able to switch them etc via a browser (in my case I use my HTC Touch PDA with opera) - basically remote control over ethernet.

Unfortunatly I have no idea how HDMI works, or what signalling happens on it - but in my case the TV and HD recorder both have RS232 ports which allow me to control such things, so does my sky plus box - but the wife wont let me piss about with that yet as its new - (any ideas what the RS232 on a sky box does - can it be used to control the box??)

Thats what I gather from this thread anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back