Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A good monthly electronics magazine to subscribe to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

Hi, I'm looking for a good monthly electronics magazine to subscribe to, as you might have guess from my subject. :lol: I'm looking for something like $19.99 or so a month. No more. And I'm interested in computers, (Hardware, building them and stuff. Don't care about games or software.) computer programing, (the useful kinds like C) microcontrolling, (mostly PIC) and the basics as well. 'Cause I'm not very skilled yet. Plus I'd be nice if it had a nice amount of schematics and projects in it as well. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. :)

Rain

**broken link removed**
It's not geared toward newbies but a novice should be able to follow along and it has most of what you're looking for. $21.95 for 1 year (12 issues).

I have the internet version of EPE its a decient mag, theres a sample issue you can dl from their site to get a general idea what it's like.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The UK magazine EPE is pretty good, it has lots of PIC projects and always provides the code for free download. You can also subscribe to an internet version which you download as PDF files.

Have a look at http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/, there's also a USA and Canada subscription link listed.

Agh! Darn it! I looked at the sample and I LOVE this one. It's exactally what I'm looking for. But it's a UK mag. Are the prices and all of the UK stuff converted over to US dollars and stuff like that in the US version?

Electric Rain said:
Agh! Darn it! I looked at the sample and I LOVE this one. It's exactally what I'm looking for. But it's a UK mag. Are the prices and all of the UK stuff converted over to US dollars and stuff like that in the US version?

I wouldn't have thought so, it's more likely to be just the standard UK copy.

But I would expect you not to have any problems sourcing parts, the US is generally far better for that than the UK.

Nigel: Yeah, I guess that is true. I've heard from others that it can be hard to get the right part in the UK that you can find somewhere in the US. ( :p :lol: ) I thought about that.

grrr_arrghh: I saw that version of the site. I was happy when I saw the $ sign for how much it was. But then I saw the downloadable preview, and that's the UK one. I thought that they probably just used the same sample and didn't bother to put up a version that had US dollars in it. But... another thing, they could be using US dollars ONLY on the site because that's the site that ships to the US; and they didn't bother to change the currency in the magazine. :?

ljcox: Eh... I'm pretty much set on EPE. Thanks anyway. :) Everyday Practical Electronics can't really get much more like what I want. I want everyday practical electronics, meaning that I don't want anything that isn't going to useful you know?

Thanks guys. :wink:

Rain

Electric Rain said:
ljcox: Eh... I'm pretty much set on EPE. Thanks anyway. :) Everyday Practical Electronics can't really get much more like what I want. I want everyday practical electronics, meaning that I don't want anything that isn't going to useful you know?

A little bit of history!.

EPE started off as 'Practical Electronics', back in the early 60's, they added a beginners magazine called 'Everyday Electronics' - probably in the 70's sometime - with 'Practical Electronics' continuing as the more 'serious' magazine.

Much more recently (probably the late 90's) they merged the two magazines into one, and called it EPE. Since then they have also absorbed the rival magazine ETI.

The magazine Elekor that 'ljcox' mentioned is actually Dutch, but there is an English language edition - I've always found the biggest problem with it is that they don't usually provide free code for their projects, you have to buy it from them!.

in my opinion EPE is the best of all the magazines. it has alot of info in it. it also has great PIC projects (im building one of it). and the TEACH-IN series is great. plus there are alot of extras like technically speaking. its an all rounder. while ELEKTOR is more related to PC projects. the same is for Circuit Cellar. so for a beginner who needs to learn alot, EPE is a great start.

samcheetah said:
in my opinion EPE is the best of all the magazines. it has alot of info in it. it also has great PIC projects (im building one of it). and the TEACH-IN series is great. plus there are alot of extras like technically speaking. its an all rounder. while ELEKTOR is more related to PC projects. the same is for Circuit Cellar. so for a beginner who needs to learn alot, EPE is a great start.

Good to know, thanks a lot. Now I'm SURE I want this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back