Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A freeware virtual breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
William At MyBlueRoom said:
A freeware virtual breadboard. Found it the other day just wanted to share the link.

https://www.virtualbreadboard.com/

Help me out here..

How is this freeware?

VirtualBreadboard is available as an online download. To access the downloads page you need a certificate which you purchase using PayPAL.

I thought gEDA was Unix only??? If so I can not run all over my other programs I need to use it :)

And I pulled virtualbreadboard a couple months ago and it was free. Probably still in my downloads.

Anyway, at $19 for school version, come on folks. I would be all over a tool I needed. But I guess you want to try it first.

Now $269 for Proton+, I will still pass :) If they would give me 200 lines of code in the demo (like MikroBASIC) to really use it maybe.. Or $20 for a 500 line version.. Woohoo..

Not a bad idea. Dollar increments for the number of lines of code you need for all compilers. Eagle does that in a way with board size and layers.. They almost got me this year for Christmas to pop for the next level up.

I thought gEDA was Unix only??? If so I can not run all over my other programs I need to use it

It looks like you can get the source and compile for win32 if you want. You could also boot Linux in a virtual machine, or from a liveCD (with gEDA installed to a USB drive).

Why waste your time? Go to www.linear.com go to their downloads section and you can get ltspice for absolutely no charge, and it's continually updated. Complete full featured spice simulator including .wav input and output. A little more complicated than a 'virtual breadboard' but it's significantly more useful. Anyone interested in electronics for any extended period of time should learn to use spice.

mramos1 said:
Now $269 for Proton+, I will still pass :) If they would give me 200 lines of code in the demo (like MikroBASIC) to really use it maybe.. Or $20 for a 500 line version.. Woohoo..

Its a development suit, not just a standalone package;

You get the most powerful version of basic designed and continually updated for both the intermediate and high-end users;

Free updates, and there are many 'addons' that allow simple interfacing with SD cards for example, I’m just touching on the basics here

A VSM (to simulate your circuits in near real time, although its only locked to certain configurations - but its damn handy anyway, and the full version is probably the most powerful VSM on the market.

In Proteus 6 Professional you can develop complete circuits with thousands of components, including digital devices running with I2C/SPI/DALLAS 1 WIRE/UART practically anything, and then throw in a few virtual terminals for real time debugging, dc/ac signals for ADC/DAC/anything, and as soon as you hit 'simulate' your circuit is as it would be in real life.

gramo said:
Its a development suit, not just a standalone package;

You get the most powerful version of basic designed and continually updated for both the intermediate and high-end users;

Free updates, and there are many 'addons' that allow simple interfacing with SD cards for example, I’m just touching on the basics here

A VSM (to simulate your circuits in near real time, although its only locked to certain configurations - but its damn handy anyway, and the full version is probably the most powerful VSM on the market.

In Proteus 6 Professional you can develop complete circuits with thousands of components, including digital devices running with I2C/SPI/DALLAS 1 WIRE/UART practically anything, and then throw in a few virtual terminals for real time debugging, dc/ac signals for ADC/DAC/anything, and as soon as you hit 'simulate' your circuit is as it would be in real life.

That all sounds good. But not what I need.

I am just to lazy to write in ASM. I liked their 50 line demo but could not test it on a VERY SIMPLE project. Charge LDR/cap, read it and sound a buzzer... I ran out of lines. 50 is a bit low, could not do it in assembler in 50 lines. Do they not know that the new Microchips have so many features, it might take 5-10 lines to turn on and off what a person needs?

I like MPLABS the best for debug/programming. I would rather write the code (in basic and no major MikroBASIC complaints), breadboard (or make a PCB) and go from there.

My projects are simple. I do not need a sim if I have all the parts and can make the board. Nothing fancy..

Do not get me wrong, it sounds like a good tool. But I would break off the compiler and make some money if I were them. BasicMICRO and MELABS did (and many others).

They need a none Proteus version for people that have ICD2 and MPLABS and like BASIC. They are stuck in the BASICSTAMP world sort of.

My projects are, I need to make these high and this low for X seconds. Blink the LED while doing that, maybe ADC. I do not need a simulator for that. Just the PIC chip in most cases. I want to write it and drop thru the MPLABS/ICD2 and go. And if the LST file has the BASIC lines commented in it I will "view program memory" and walk though the MPLABS debugger if ICD is an option for that pic.

I think they are missing a market. They would save me time anyway.

Sounds like PICsimulator IDE would be another good tool for you, much slower simulation speed - but very usefull for someone in your shoes imho

www.oshonsoft.com/pic.html

its cheap and is great for 'debugging' your programs at software level. Just remember that it simulates at around 1000uS per real life second

Sceadwian said:
Why waste your time? Go to www.linear.com go to their downloads section and you can get ltspice for absolutely no charge

It doesnt support the simulation of digital components with user-built software in virtual circuits

Somehow it seems digital simulation is not really needed for small projects. That was my point.

BTW: ltspice is very nice.

If you can program a PIC and using digital I/O only... The ICD2 and MPLABS is fair in price. Inchworm and free MPLABS. The cost is for the Inchworm/ICD2 is worth it. Programmer and debugger.

Oh, add ohhonsoft to the low cost basic that looks good. But their contact form does not work with firefox. I was going to buy it as it is low cost.
You fire it up and get all the fluff and hit (I think it was ^M) and write the BASIC and compile.. But I could not contact them. I will load it and try it one day, but again, $269 for a basic compiler (Proton) is more than I will spend. And OSHONSOFT comes with a lot more stuff I will ^M past and load MPLABS.

Was this post about virtualbreadboard?

i_build_stuff said:
It looks like you can get the source and compile for win32 if you want. You could also boot Linux in a virtual machine, or from a liveCD (with gEDA installed to a USB drive).

Simulation below:

Humm.. I want to read some switches and light some LEDs with a PIC chip.. Better I want to run virtualbreadboard. But there is gEDA. Let me load a VM (found a free one; why does it keep locking up my machine?) and then Linux of a flavor (what flavor). Or better load a Windows GNU C compiler (found one) and make it work compiled for my Windows machine... If can not program a PIC, how do I fix all the errors the Windows GNU C compiler threw at me when I tried to compile gEDA?

OK, VM loaded, and Linux.. Too tired to play with PIC chip now.

Boy this thread went all over.

mramos1 said:
Somehow it seems digital simulation is not really needed for small projects. That was my point.

Your abosolutly right - I just like to make sure that when I flick that power switch that everything will work as intended. Proteus allows me to develop almost any circuit in seconds - without cramming things into breadboards.

BTW: ltspice is very nice.

Its an awesome anologue sim, but thats about it :(

$269 for a basic compiler (Proton) is more than I will spend.

For me its about quality of life - then again, sometimes you need the cash to provide it.

Hehe yeah, we really went left wing on this one!

Perhaps you should jump ship to the AVR... Bascom AVR is a great basic compiler with many features for only 79 Eur (~$100). It also includes a full featured simulator with virtual lcd and leds. Their free demo compiles 4k of code.

Plus, you know you want to move to the superior AVR platform anyway :D

As for Proteus, I use it all the time and highly recommend it. I can simulate my AVR projects running my code; simply amazing!

mramos1 said:
I think that went out the window when it turned out not to be free.

Last edited:
Atmel AVR, see my signature. I have an STK-500 abd RVKBasic (free)..

Far as Proton, there is a market they are missing. Sounds like a nice package, I just do not need the sun-roof, nicer riim, etc :).

And with 50 lines of code and all the options you mention it has how can one try it? One part at a time maybe.

Maybe Sanata will get me one this year.

mramos1 said:
Atmel AVR, see my signature. I have an STK-500 abd RVKBasic (free)..
That site is a bit confusing... On the main page it infers the demo version is limited to 100 lines (full ver $45), on the downloads page it appears to be free; or is demo free? If it's $45 I'd consider investing in Bascom instead, especially for the simulator.

C is another option worth considering.

Hi,
Generally Demos are free or full version is free but time limited. we can't expect more than that. for e.g., PICsimide is free for 30 attempts and after that one has to pay for depending on whether home of commercial use. It has also similar facilities.

I hate limeted trial programs that stop working after a certain perioud of time of number of uses; they never fully uninstall properly, you alwayas have to delete some files of sift through the registry to completely remove them.

I hate the timed trials, I might load something, get busy and not get back to it for a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back