Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
3D Calculus, complex math, series, and a little bit of matrixes tossed in here to keep you on your toes it's at! (at least, where I am currently at) Make sure to get your geo and algebra right though cause if you don't it comes back to haunt you- and not like a ghost does either, more like a masked psycopath with a sledgehammer.
1. matrices
But you're right - the basic things are pretty important.

Where the plug-and-chug math that exists in high school ends is where math really begins.
Absolutely right!

I remember a MechE friend was starting complex numbers (electricals learn it a year earlier) and he was sitting there staring at it saying WTF Is at this crap! It doesn't exist! Why the *(&@&#*& are we doing this crap! I felt the same way staring at some of the strain and stress stuff he was doing lol.
Hm Why ? Complex numbers are quite simple. We learn that in highschool...
Complex analysis is very useful, together with PDEs ...

Last edited:
I think the MechEs weren't as open to complex numbers as we were. In the same way I'm still not exactly sure what a Coriolis acceleration is, but I'm pretty sure they are quite comfortable with that. It wasn't so much the complex numbers that were fumbling him up, it was that he was learning them while he had to use phasors to analyze circuits. I think it was the mix.

PDEs. Everyone loooves PDEs...well only when I can solve them.

What I especially love on maths, are the equations - the mathematical notation - it is sooo sexy!

Analysis and Calculus
Both next year.

Why are you telling me that things will get harder out of highschool? I already know that. Honestly, i think highschool should be harder. With this "No child left behind" crap, the really smart people(not to toot my own horn), are not getting what they need. The only people that are getting what they need are the morons who need to go back to middle school! Seriously, my friend and i have been book searching lately. I came across a few highschool level books. I, of course, though "All right! Something that will be good to read!", so i start looking through it. I WAS DOING THAT STUFF WHEN I WAS 9 YEARS OLD! It was talking about "Now, this is a series circuit. If you flip the switch, then both light bulbs will light up." This was a highschool level book! Can you believe that? I was looking at some lower level college books, and the stuff is just about were i am now. Learning about transistors, and the like. What needs to be done, is kill the sports fund. My school spends more money on sports, than it does on anything else. I would be happy if the school payed for my gas, and i would go to the technical college near by, just to take some electronics courses. I guess the gas money will come out of my own pocket then? Oh well. The knowledge will be worth it. Next year, i am going to talk to my principal about letting me do a few classes there. Chances are i will be able to, just so i have enough courses done at the highschool. :)

Anyways, back to the whole highschool being simple thing. It is like that for most of the classes there too. For some reason, i always get stuck in a class that just doesn't want to learn. They always screw around. I am hopping now that i will be one math class above the screwoff's, i may just get something done.

Also, _nox_, i am anxious to see your mathamatical language. Don't keep us waiting too long. ;)

If I knew university was going to be like this, I would have had more fun, skipped a few classes, showed up a little later each day, etc. during high school.

So what is it that you are saying, exactally? Classes are easy? Highschool is too easy? What?

all of that - i'd love to skip some classes too... but this is not allowed here

i'd love to skip some classes too... but this is not allowed here

he he. i didn't know it was allowed in highschool... I know this a dumb question to ask you, but what is college life actually like? What is your daily routine? What are classes like? Oooh! The questions i have racing through my head.

Marks256 said:
he he. i didn't know it was allowed in highschool... I know this a dumb question to ask you, but what is college life actually like? What is your daily routine? What are classes like? Oooh! The questions i have racing through my head.
Good questions! I'd like to know the answer, too!

Last edited:
Yeah, high school is too easy.

Skipping isn't allowed in high-school, but hey, if you keep getting A+, what are your parents going to do?

University is kind of like:

Wake-up
Grugingly get ready for school
Fall asleep on the bus on the way to school
Get off
Go to class, daze out while continuing to write notes
Miss eating lunch
Go to more classes and do some homework in class while writing notes
Go home
Figure out what on earth it was you wrote during class
Eat
Do some homework but not finish it completely
Finish eating
Get ready to go to sleep
Go to bed
Can't sleep
Wake up without getting enough sleep
etc.

If you're doing it right you won't have to do homework in class and you will understand the notes as you write them down and get enough sleep. It has a lot to do with the prof too. YOu also run around at the end of the day from lab to lab. There are also spares where you can sit down with friends and eat and talk while doing homework.

You can tell when everyone is really tired when you all can't stop laughing hysterically at the smallest, most meaningless things happening around you.

It's pretty dull unless you party on the weekends.

Last edited:
sure why not ? tablet pc would be *COOL* ... running vista on it!

Crap! This is the second keyboard i have gone through this month. I seriously need to stop drooling on it! Oooh, that setup would be slick. Think of all that power.... I would suggest getting a TI-92 calculator before you start your classes. I am going to get one before this year starts. Aww, i can truly feel the power now.... Oh, that is why! I am drooling again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back