Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

1. What is a Schmitt Trigger?
2. What is a Schottky? (and how is it pronounced?)
3. What is a compariator, how does it work? Is it digtial? What could they be used for?

Comparator outputs a 1 or 0 depending if one input signal is higher than a second signal (a comparator compares).

SChotky is a type of very fast, low forward drop diode, with high leakage currents. It does this by a metal-silicon junction if I remmeber right, rather than a silicon-silicon junction (you need to know a lot more to understand the details).

Schmitt trigger means that there are two separate thresholds between a 1 and a zero, not just one. It provides noise immunity. If 0V is the threshold noise might make it be + or - and it would jump between 1 and 0. With Schmitt, it's kind of likey you need to pass -1V to go from 1->0 and you need to pass 1V to from 0->1. Google explains it much better.

Nigel Goodwin said:
How about "What is google?".

**broken link removed**

1. What is the meaning of life?
2. What is the purpose for trillions of stars?
3. What is a Creator? How does He work? Is he diety? What could we be used for in the Master Plan?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
3. What is a compariator, how does it work? Is it digtial? What could they be used for?
2 - Schottky is pronounced "Shot-key"
3 - Comparators have analog inputs and a digital output, usually open collector.

What does "open-collector" mean, that's your homework for this evening.

1. What is the meaning of life?

I'm not sure. I would have to say; "We are here to make our own purpose".

2. What is the purpose for trillions of stars?

There is no purpose. They just happened.

3. What is a Creator? How does He work? Is he diety? What could we be used for in the Master Plan?

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but i am an evolutionist. I don't believe in god. I think the word is atheist? I believe that the universe was a direct cause of "The big bang".

If you were just saying that my questions should be answered from Google, three people have already said that. :)

What does "open-collector" mean, that's your homework for this evening.

I will do that. Only if i remember. I am very forgetful. I am actually working on my first home made project, so i am kind of side-tracked as of right now. I will look on Google when i get time.

Is he diety?
Actually, i think that is spelt; deity.

Marks256 said:

1. comparator
2. digital

I second the 'use google' motion. Your spelling will need to be pretty close to get hits in google.

1. comparator
2. digital

I second the 'use google' motion. Your spelling will need to be pretty close to get hits in google.

See, poopeater, this is what i don't get. I ask you nicely, and i asked you more aggressively. What don't you get about stopping? Huh? What are you getting out of making me very angry? If it is some sort of "thrill", it is a very dangerous thrill to be enjoying. Why don't you correct everybody else's spelling? I seriously cant take your crap anymore. STOP IT! PLEASE! I never did anything to you(initially). Why do you keep harassing me and my posts?

Dude, you just got told.
Who? Him or I?

Poopeater is taking it out on you because he must be very miserable now, living in the middle of a dezzert in Phoenix AZ in the middle of summer. I was there and boy oh boy oh boy oh boy is it ever hot there. There are lizards running around all over the place!

Marks256 said:
See, poopeater, this is what i don't get. I ask you nicely, and i asked you more aggressively. What don't you get about stopping? Huh? What are you getting out of making me very angry? If it is some sort of "thrill", it is a very dangerous thrill to be enjoying. Why don't you correct everybody else's spelling? I seriously cant take your crap anymore. STOP IT! PLEASE! I never did anything to you(initially). Why do you keep harassing me and my posts?

Who? Him or I?

THe one who was in the wrong.

I learn school that an op-amp can be configured to work just like a comparator. The difference is that op-amps are slower.

Please clarify me if I am wrong.:D

@Mark: People who can read should take advantage of this fine skill.
What did I just say!? Do a search in google before you ask in a forum!
Plus that you really should join an anti-aggression-therapy

Who? Him or I?
Hmm... is that correct ? Shouldn't it be "me" ?

Of course an opamp can be used for a slow comparator, but its output isn't an open collector.

Maybe Mark comes from a part of his city that has many non-english-speaking people and their bad spelling is rubbing off on him. Maybe his teachers are non-english-speaking.

Last time I was in graduate school all the professors were non-native speakers of English.

I stand corrected on the spelling of "deity". Most often, my spelling mistakes are a result of my antiquated "hunt 'n peck" method of typing and proof reading by skimming. So the lesson to be learned here is not for me to worry about the splinter in my brother's eye, when there's a plank in mine?

Marks256 said:

Look, the point of my post was that you should look these things up on google (or wikipedia). In order to do that, you need to spell them correctly. I spelled them for you so that you can just copy and paste into the search window instead of having to go look them up.

Shake the bee out of your bonnet. You seem like a very angry individual.

audioguru said:
Poopeater is taking it out on you because he must be very miserable now, living in the middle of a dezzert in Phoenix AZ in the middle of summer. I was there and boy oh boy oh boy oh boy is it ever hot there. There are lizards running around all over the place!
Hahahaha, yeah you aren't kidding. We hit 118 degrees the other day. It's "cooled off" now, and is just in the low 100s. It's higher humidity though, so it's still pretty hot.

The weeds and bees are thriving very well in this heat & humidity. I'm hiding out in my finished basement where things are cool and comfy.

HiTech said:
I stand corrected on the spelling of "deity". Most often, my spelling mistakes are a result of my antiquated "hunt 'n peck" method of typing and proof reading by skimming. So the lesson to be learned here is not for me to worry about the splinter in my brother's eye, when there's a plank in mine?
Search and destroy sounds cooler than hunt and peck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back