Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A few questions about a XOR logic gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxx14

Hello.
Is XOR gate also called Exclusivbe-OR gate?
And what should i know before useing a XOR gate in a circuit. Yesterday i read a topic where someone bought logic gates and there was some complications with the high and low states. I just bought a logic gate for one of my projects, i will be haveing a 74f86 exclusive-OR logic. I wan't to have that logic chip to drive a transistor. So i would like to know how to connect the inputs. one input is should be always high, and the second input should be driven by a phototransistor. if the phototransistors signal has been cut, then the input should go Low so the output will be high. I have attached the datasheet of the 74f86 to the post. And if someone would give me a little schematic for it i would be very grateful. Cause i don't have any ideas myself right now.

Attachments

• 74f86.pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 370
hi.
The output of a 2 input XOR gate will be High when either one of the inputs is High, but NOT both.

Does this help?

In this circuit, when Vin is low [0v] then Vout is low, when Vin is High [+5v] Vout is High..

Last edited:
Yeah, that i have figuered out with the help of a datasheet, but thnx for the schematic. Oh and i have photodiodes not phototransistors. Well thnx, and i will be drawing my schematic some day, i hope i do it correctly. :D

Sry for the double post.
I came up with a schematic but i don't know if it may work like this. The D? diode should be a thyristor but i didn't have a thyristor in the component list. so i modified it a little. I hope you can correct me if there is something wrong with my schematic. Oh and there are no values because i just don't know what should the values be and what transistor to use. Any ideas are welcome.
Oh and that capacitor will be loaded by another thing, but i didn't draw it on here. Cause i don't have the schematic for that. I know i could of made a little block with Cap Charger written inside.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 316
Hi

im not the best when it comes to these types of schematics, but i think your diode is the wrong way around, and the transistor you have drawn is a NPN with your collector connected to +V ?

and you may be able to use a single input inverter instead of the IC you are using,because one of you inputs is always connected to +V

with an inverter the output is high(1) with the input been low, and the output is low (0) when the input is high (1)

And as for your resistor values, well the one for your base can be anything low i suppose, try 10K, 100K ?

And for the collector, it just has to suit your emitter load i think, so in your case a LED.

Jaxx14, are you aware that you don't need an XOR, or any other logic gate, to do what you are apparently trying to do? It just makes things more difficult. That is, unless you plan to apply some other signal besides VCC to the other input of the XOR.
What exactly are you trying to do?

shaneshane1 said:
Hi

im not the best when it comes to these types of schematics, but i think your diode is the wrong way around
The diode on the ic output to the transistor base is a LED and it is the right way round.
, and the transistor you have drawn is a NPN with your collector connected to +V ?
A NPN transistor does have its collector to a +V supply.

and you may be able to use a single input inverter instead of the IC you are using,because one of you inputs is always connected to +V
He dosn't need any invertor or 7486 if he reconfigures the photodiode circuit.

with an inverter the output is high(1) with the input been low, and the output is low (0) when the input is high (1)
This is correct.

And as for your resistor values, well the one for your base can be anything low i suppose, try 10K, 100K ?
Remember the forward voltage drop across the LED, say 1.8V and the Vbe drop in the transistor, you finish up with +5V - ( 1.8 + 0.7) =2.5V across the resistor, so a 330R or 470R would be suitable.
And for the collector, it just has to suit your emitter load i think, so in your case a LED.
I dont follow what you mean.?
Hi Shane,
Sorry to pick holes in your post, but I thought you may appreciate my guidance.
Have a Happy Xmas...:)

ericgibbs said:
Hi Shane,
Sorry to pick holes in your post, but I thought you may appreciate my guidance.
Have a Happy Xmas...:)

the diode i was talking about was the one on one of his lower input.

as for the transistor, i now realise im incorrect, as you may have noticed from previous posts of mine :rolleyes:

ericgibbs said:
I dont follow what you mean.?

well he has a resistor on his collector?
so i thought that if he had the resistor on the collector or the emitter it would not make a difference?

because the current has to pass though the collector to the emitter?

That PD? ,the photodiode is upside down yeah, cause i forgot to switch it. oh and that LEd i have there on the base, i am actually thinking of leaving that out. oh and the capacitor values may be 800microFarads and 300V. If that makes any difference. Oh and Roff i am trying to do an atomatic switch to my coilgun, before the second coil.

I would tackle your problem in a different way. Why not use the photodiode in series with a resistor and connected across the 5V power supply? Then, connect the junction of the photodiode and resistor to an Op-Amp setup as a comparator.

This would be a much better circuit, and adjusting the point at which the comparator "trips" would be a simple matter of adjusting the reference voltage (use a variable pot). Calculating the value of the series resistor is also a simple matter, but you'd need to take a look at the datasheet for the photodiode first (to see how much current it passes for different light intensities).

If you'd like me to draw up a circuit for this and explain it to you, I will. Please let me know what photodiode you are using.

Brian

Why am i using tha XOR gate? Because i have one lieing around. Oh and that photodiode is pretty old, it's a russian photodiode: fd-23k 11-78(these last numbers should be the production month and year). I have a lot of russian electronic parts. That thyristor is T122-25-12-4 the T122 is the type, 25 means 25A (continues) and 12 means 1200V, what does that 4 mean? i have no clue.

I can't find datasheets for any of those components. If datasheetcatalog.com doesn't have them, they probably don't exist!

Brian

I've allready searched them on the net and i think there aren't any datasheets for them. But those parts a pretty old, that photodiode has been made in 1978. and the T122 thyristor or SCR(should be the same thing) is also pretty old. BTW i've never found any datasheet for Russian type parts. For example take GT402I its a transistor with a pretty big capsule. i would take a picture of it but can't find my cam. Oh and for that Thyristor i found the numbers on the web, but thats was all, nothing more, only that it stands 25 A of current contiues and 1200V and thats all.

Sry for the double post again, but soon i will be going to remake my schematic to a more reasonable schematic. Yesterday after going to sleep there was a flash in my head and i know how to draw what i need (i hope). I am not very good at drawing schematics from scratch, so this is pretty much my first time.

Since the general subject is XOR gates, I might add the point that if you try to "widen" the number of inputs by cascading 2-input gates (XORs are generally available only in 2-input versions) as you would AND or OR gates, the exclusivity disappears. An exclusive OR gate will have the logic of "if one and only one input is HIGH, the output will be HIGH; in all other cases, the output will be LOW". Cascaded XOR gates will have the logic of "if an odd number of inputs are HIGH, the output will be HIGH; in all other cases (an even number of inputs HIGH including no inputs HIGH) the output will be LOW". Regardless of the lack of exclusivity, the latter logic is great for creating a parity generator or parity checker.

Dean

jaxx14 said:
Well im back with my new schematic. Are there any problems? like should anywhere be some resistors or something?
EDIT: I can't get my pic in here. So i will link it. **broken link removed**
I applaud your efforts at circuit design, but you are not even close.
Are you stuck with the BTR59? It's a gate turnoff thyristor, and the worst case turn-on current is 500mA.
How are you planning to charge the capacitors that you are dumping into your coils? There is no power supply and no ground in that part of the circuit

The inputs to your gates have nothing to pull them low, so they are always high.
Your LEDs won't light because there is never any current in them.
Your gates are not needed since the pushbutton will turn on only one transistor if it had a load.

The SCRs won't work because there is no ground in their circuit.
The capacitors won't discharge into the inductors because there is nothing to charge the capacitors.

What is "PE"?

audioguru said:
The inputs to your gates have nothing to pull them low, so they are always high.
Your LEDs won't light because there is never any current in them.
Your gates are not needed since the pushbutton will turn on only one transistor if it had a load.

The SCRs won't work because there is no ground in their circuit.
The capacitors won't discharge into the inductors because there is nothing to charge the capacitors.

What is "PE"?
I didn't want to hit him with everything at once.:(
Besides, I already told him he doesn't need logic gates in a circuit that triggers an SCR from a photodiode.

Now I see the photodiodes. I though they were LEDs.
He needs to have amplifiers for the photodiodes, not old TTL gates. But I guess all of his parts are old.

Surely the transistors could be connected to amplify the weak signal from the photodiodes.

Happy New Year, Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back