Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A/D then D/A question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabuun

Hi,

I'm a newbie to A/D operation.

Let's say I want to use ADC0808. I have 8 single ended input and I connect 8 different analogue values to ADC0808. When I look at the output of ADC0808, I see that 8, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 pins are the outputs. The thing that I can't understand is the conversion. Let's say input values are ;

Channel 1 : 1.5 V
Channel 2 : 2.5 V
Channel 3 : 1.6 V
Channel 4 : 2.4 V
Channel 5 : 1.2 V
Channel 6 : 2.2 V
Channel 7 : 1.3 V
Channel 8 : 2.3 V

After 8 bit conversion is done, for my knowledge, I have 8 bit values (e.g., 00100110 for channel 1, 00100110 for channel 5, etc.) for each channel. But there is only one 8 bit output. I want to learn which channel's value I am reading at that moment.

Any help will be appreciated. I know my knowledge is not enough yet but I'm really trying to learn.

Thanks in advance,
Amuri

hi,
Only 1 of the 8 possible inputs is selected by the 3 address bits.

So channel 0, Address 0,0,0 would select analog Input 0, after conversion the 8 parallel bits for Input 0, would appear on the output pins.

OK.?

Last edited:
Hi ericgibbs,

Thanks for your quick reply.

So how can I see other inputs on output pins? How can I change the address of the input?

Best regards,
Amuri

Hi ericgibbs,

Thanks for your quick reply.

So how can I see other inputs on output pins? How can I change the address of the input?

Best regards,
Amuri

hi,
You could use Bit switches to select the channels or a MCU.

A timing Clock and Start pulse is required, look at this datasheet. Page #2 shows the layout.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot ericgibbs, I'll be working on it. If I have a question, I will ask again.

Best regards,
Amuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back