Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A conformal coating that can stand up to solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgwtfbyobbq

I'd like to jumper a resistor in a relay I have, but since the components are so close together, and I'm a bit jittery anyway, I was wondering if there was anything I could coat the other components w/ something that would insure I didn't get any solder from the jumper connection on them. I'd rather not ruin two relays. ;)
TIA!

Last edited:
No such conformal coating. Even if there was, your jitteriness will work against you while applying the coatings which are more free running than solder and do not solidify when cooled and just keep on flowing into other places. You'd probably end up covering the part you want to solder.

How about non-permanent, nice fixable, removable, non-free flowing silly putty?

Last edited:
Practice soldering - your shaky hands will soon get better, the burns encourage you!.

Monday morning, really good Sunday night - can hardly hold a cup of coffee without spilling it - stick a soldering iron in your hand and all of a sudden the shaking has stopped! :D

The silly putty actually sounds like a great idea, provided the solder won't burn through. I was also thinking of some of the automotive liquid gasket materials like those for Oxygen Sensor bungs and the like. Although, it probably would be better off in the long run to get rid of the shakes. Thanks for the ideas! I'll probably just go w/ some high temp gasket material and wear an N95 mask in case of any weird vapors. :)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Perhaps you might like to post a picture of exactly what you're trying to do?.
Here's a fuzzy pic of it. :eek: There's ~50K resistor I want to jumper in the upper left hand corner so that it'll work with the usual ~12V instead of the ~50V normally supplied by the ignition coil. This relay is toast since I ended up blowing something (popped!) when I was jumpering the resistor to verify it was the right one. :eek:

The coil may be destroyed. But you may still need some resistance for the coil , even with only 12V. What is the relay coil current rating and resistance value?

How about creating dumbies to practice on? (Not me please) Set up a few paperclips or whatever material of the proper diameter might be that represent the original solder connections and practice a little bit on them rather than the real thing. A couple tries on a dumby should refine your hand motions and confidience to the point where you can do a more reliable solder joint on the real thing if it's worrying you. Do the dumby thing a few times and you'll probably never do it again though because you'll have gained enough confidence in your own soldering ability to know what you can and can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back