Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A common didoe with a forward voltage >0.7v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maor

I'm looking for one, using a 1n4148 on a simulation of an effect pedal I'm using seems to distort the peak of the waveform to a more flat wave and after disconnecting the limiting diodes its stopped distorting the wave, I'm looking for diodes with a >0.7V of forward voltage to fix this issue.
Anyone knows of one that is cheap and common?

The current thats being pushed from the pedal isn't enough to get this diode to reach 1v, I need a fixed forward voltage, lets say, 0.9v?

BAT86 ?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/05/bat86s.pdf

# Diode Type:Schottky
# Repetitive Reverse Voltage Max, Vrrm:50V
# Forward Current, If(AV):200mA
# Forward Voltage Max, VF:900mV
# Forward Surge Current Max, Ifsm:5A
# Diode Case Style:DO-35
# No. of Pins:2
# Current Rating:200A

IF = 0.1 mA, VF 300 mV
IF = 1 mA, VF 380 mV
IF = 10 mA, VF 450 mV
IF = 30 mA, VF 600 mV
IF = 100 mA, VF 900 mV
Reverse current VR = 40 V IR 5 μA
Diode capacitance VR = 1 V, f = 1 MHz CD 8 pF

~ US$0.30 @ 1 off

On absolute fixed forward volatages: is that even possible? I would have expected some range of If leading up to the max Vf. So i guess you mean a diode that is at max Vf at a low If? Although how low is low? What amount of current can your pedal circuit safely provide?

Last edited:
For your purposes you wouldnt notice a difference between "normal" and schottky.

Schottky diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Construction:
A Schottky diode uses a metal-semiconductor junction as a Schottky barrier (instead of a semiconductor-semiconductor junction as in conventional diodes). This Schottky barrier results in both very fast switching times and low forward voltage drop.

The Schottky diode (named after German physicist Walter H. Schottky; also known as hot carrier diode) is a semiconductor diode with a low forward voltage drop and a very fast switching action. The cat's-whisker detectors used in the early days of wireless can be considered as primitive Schottky diodes.

A Schottky diode is a special type of diode with a very low forward-voltage drop. When current flows through a diode there is a small voltage drop across the diode terminals. A normal diode has between 0.7-1.7 volt drops, while a Schottky diode voltage drop is between approximately 0.15-0.45 volts. This lower voltage drop can provide higher switching speed and better system efficiency.

Whats the difference between schottkys and normal diodes?

hi,
There is no such thing as a fixed forward voltage for a diode.
I was suggesting using BAT diodes in series to give close to 0.7V

Google Schottky diodes

Last edited:
Never mind everyone, it seems that the 1n4148 is the only diode that works properly with my circuit.

Thanks for the help anyway everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back