Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Circuit Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaidul

Hello,

Can anyone please solve the problem in the screenshot? This is a question from the book Electric circuits(9th edition) by James W nilsson and Susan Riedel.

Thank You.

Attachments

• The problem.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 365
hi shaidul,
As you are studying s domain circuits you may find this PDF helpful.
E

Attachments

• lec3c.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,962
Yes the first one is the part a and b answers and the second is part c
answer.png
answer1.png

Yes the first one is the part a and b answers and the second is part c
View attachment 95630 View attachment 95631

OK, the solution is derived below. Ask if you have any questions. I expected the voltage to oscillate as the energy from the capacitor and the coil transferred energy back and forth, but it appears that 5000 ohms of resistance is enough to dampen any oscillations. You can see the oscillations if you lower the resistance to 2000 ohms.
shaidul.JPG

Ratch

** I'm a student.

First I'd like to show why we construct the s-domain circuit like that in the second diagram in post #6:
upload_2015-11-29_14-0-13.png

We can treat the first constant term as a voltage source, the second the voltage drop across the capacitor, the third across the resistor and the fourth across the inductor, so the equation itself indicates a kind of Kirchhoff's voltage law, and we build the s-domain circuit from it.

Next we can solve for I from the last equation in terms of s and the capacitor's initial voltage, then Vo is simply equal to IsL.

Once we have Vo in the s-domain, we can change it back to the corresponding time domain solution by reverse Laplace transform.

Hope it helps.

** I'm a student.

First I'd like to show why we construct the s-domain circuit like that in the second diagram in post #6:
View attachment 95650

We can treat the first constant term as a voltage source, the second the voltage drop across the capacitor, the third across the resistor and the fourth across the inductor, so the equation itself indicates a kind of Kirchhoff's voltage law, and we build the s-domain circuit from it.

Next we can solve for I from the last equation in terms of s and the capacitor's initial voltage, then Vo is simply equal to IsL.

Once we have Vo in the s-domain, we can change it back to the corresponding time domain solution by reverse Laplace transform.

Hope it helps.

Did you read post #7 of this thread?

Ratch

Did you read post #7 of this thread?

Ratch
Yes, I did. I was just trying to provide a possible reason why we draw a s-domain circuit like those procedures listed on a textbook. By solving the Laplace current in the last equation in post #9, I got the same transient voltage as yours.
For post#9, i couldnt understand properly,please explain by solving the problem.
Maybe you would like to show us your own calculations?

shaidul DO NOT ask for the members to give you answers. This is YOUR homework, not theirs. YOU need to learn HOW to solve it, not just ask for answers. That defeats the purpose of this forum.

Everyone else, please do not give answers to the problem. By doing so you are not helping the OP. You may point him in the right direction, but HE must do all of the work.

If the OP doesn't stop asking for answers, this thread will be closed.

shaidul DO NOT ask for the members to give you answers. This is YOUR homework, not theirs. YOU need to learn HOW to solve it, not just ask for answers. That defeats the purpose of this forum.

Everyone else, please do not give answers to the problem. By doing so you are not helping the OP. You may point him in the right direction, but HE must do all of the work.

If the OP doesn't stop asking for answers, this thread will be closed.

Strange. He already has the answer from post #7, and he still does not get it.

Ratch

Sorry, can I ask DerStrom8 to delete my last post?
Post #16 must appear during my "solving" the problem and uploading it ..., Sorry!

Sorry, can I ask DerStrom8 to delete my last post?
Post #16 must appear during my "solving" the problem and uploading it ..., Sorry!

Posts appear in sequential numerical order. Why would you want to delete your post? It appears to contain correct information.

Ratch

Ratchit The numbers are reordered if a post is removed.

Heidi Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back