Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a circuit needs to be checked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand with this connection and values the reset issue will going to be solved ?

Attachments

• waterwaterm.gif
    waterwaterm.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 106
cannibal said:
I understand with this connection and values the reset issue will going to be solved ?
You have a capacitor with hardly any capacitance and a resistor that sinks hardly any current.
The very old power-hungry TTL counter IC's reset pins needs something to sink 0.8mA at 0.4V which is a 500 ohms (or less) resistor (not 100k) or the collector of a transistor. A 4000uF capacitor will charge into 470 ohms and will produce a reset time of 1 second when the power is turned on. Use 400uf for a 0.1 second reset time. Use 40uF for a 0.01 second reset time. I don't know how quickly your power supply's 5V will rise so 1 second is to be safe.

WTF?

Alright I probably was confusing it with CMOS, but even so, it's LS which doens't use as much power as TTL, I can't remember what the input current is but it's not that high.

I wouldn't use a capacitor any larger than 1:mu:F and a resistor no lower than 1k.

The reset time can be very short, <1:mu:s, so I don't know where you're getting 0.01s from. I routinely use a 10k resistor and 1nF capacitor on a 555 timer when I want it to trigger on power on or when the trigger pulse lasts for longer than the cycle and I would use the same values here.

Hero999 said:
Alright I probably was confusing it with CMOS, but even so, it's LS which doens't use as much power as TTL, I can't remember what the input current is but it's not that high.

I wouldn't use a capacitor any larger than 1:mu:F and a resistor no lower than 1k.
I use a 1M resistor and a 0.33uF capacitor for power-up reset on Cmos.

I posted the max current rating of 0.4mA for each of the two reset pins of the 74LS90 earlier in this thread. Here it is again:

Attachments

• 74LS90.GIF
    74LS90.GIF
    4.1 KB · Views: 104
audioguru said:
I use a 1M resistor and a 0.33uF capacitor for power-up reset on Cmos.
I used 100pf and 1M on my college project?

I posted the max current rating of 0.4mA for each of the two reset pins of the 74LS90 earlier in this thread. Here it is again:
I admit I was wrong about that.

I'd use 1k and 100nF.

I don't understand why you use such long reset pulses, 100:mu:s is more than long enough.

Fair point, I suppose it depends on where you put the power switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back