Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A call to all robot hobbyists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alon

Hello everyone,

My name is Berick Cook, and I am an inventor. I own and operate Alon Innovations based out of Anchorage, Alaska. I'm writing here because I have recently developed a fantastic new device that I know will be of great interest to you all.

But first a little background on myself. Every since I was a child, I have been fascinated with robotics and mechanical engineering. However, I've always been of the mindset that we are seriously lacking in modern robotics. As fancy as our robots look, they are far too clumsy and slow. I never had the opportunity to learn as much about robotics as I would like, but I still felt like I could contribute to their advancement. Which is where my invention comes in.

I've created a new type of actuator called the Dynamic Magnetic Flux Actuator (or Flux Actuator for short) that will allow mechanical joints to move extremely fast without sacrificing strength. How fast? A humanoid robot with these for muscles could move and react faster than a human. How strong? That same robot could potentially lift hundreds of pounds.

I've spent my life savings (which admittedly wasn't much, I'm only 23) developing and patenting this device, so I don't have the capital to set up shop and manufacture them. I'm pitching the idea to various manufacturers, but that might take a little while and I want to get this into your hands as quickly as possible (money is great, but robots are greater).

Now here is where you come in. I'm calling on all hobbyists to show me what you can do with it! I've posted the design on **broken link removed** so that you can analyze and build them for your own personal use! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and feel free to send information, pictures, and videos of your creations to me at mail@aloninnovations.com and I'll feature them on my website. Be one of the first designers of a new robotics age!

Why am I doing this? Because we all benefit from it! I get great advertisement (which will accelerate the licensing process) and see the robots of the future take shape, and you get to play with a device that engineers have been dreaming about for decades and make history doing it.

I intend to post this same message on a few robotics engineering forums, but I'm not going to just spam and run. So, if you have any questions or comments your welcome to post them here.

Ladies and Gentlemen, science fiction just turned real.

Now, I'm no electrical engineer, and I could be wrong, but this was invented a long time ago, and it's called a linear motor.

I put one in a prototype pinball machine at Stern many years ago, looks just like that, used pinball coils. Looks like he missed a couple of tricks I discovered. I think I'll go dig it out of the basement and post a picture.

Thank you all for your replies and interest. I can see that some clarification is necessary.

Salgat: Yes, it is very similar to a coilgun. There are a few differences however. The core of the flux actuator is a rare earth magnet built into an armature, not just an iron (or equivalent) slug. Another difference is the way that the coils are powered. In a coilgun, a very large current is dumped into the coils over a very brief time so that the slug is accelerated to supersonic speeds within a short distance. The flux actuator is powered by a consistent current. A coilguns coils are also powered in a set sequence, whereas the flux actuator's sequence is variable.

DirtyLude: It is true that linear motors have been around for a long time. The flux actuator bares a striking resemblence to what is called a tubular linear actuator. There is a very good video showing various uses for them here. The flux actuator works the same way, but with a different method of driving the actuator. By directly controlling the power sequencing to a plurality of coils, the efficiency of the actuator is increased significantly. For example: The Servotube shown in the video has a 300+v 2+a power requirement to produce a constant 11-23 lbs of force. The very rough proof of concept model that I built of the flux actuator is capable of ~6 lbs of force at 12v .5a. I am in the process of building a polished prototype which will be even more effective.

Nigel Goodwin: In a way, yes. It is a slight variation of a linear motor. It's significant efficiency gain over existing designs is what makes it innovative (at least in my book).

Duffy: I am very curious about this. I hope you are able to find it.

PhillDubya: Similar, but very different.

Unfortunately I do not specialize in the field that you're invention is under, but I can appreciate you're enthusiasm for you invention. The best of luck to you.

The others were right, your alterations are just making it a more specific kind of solonoid, called a linear stepping solonoid.

The others were right, your alterations are just making it a more specific kind of solonoid, called a linear stepping solonoid.

"Linear stepping solenoid" returns ZERO hits from Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back