Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A/C transformer to hook up to fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktobias

My husband is trying to repair the a/c unit inside. The transformer has been replaced. It went from a dual tap transformer (factory) to the one purchased which is a multitap. He is having trouble with the wire color/coding. The panel does not show how to hook a multi-tap into the fuse. Please advise

I also know that two of the wires will not be used. His problem is that he can't determine which wire do what. The only thing I know to do it take a picture to post of call the experts. I don't want to have to do that because I know he can do with the right information.

If you want to have any chance of us answering this question - you will post clear pictures of -both- transformers, the panel information, perhaps the make/model of a/c unit - and more information about what the transformer powers (I'm still trying to figure out if you are repairing the inside of the a/c, or repairing it inside the house, or if you are repairing an "inside" a/c unit and not a central air plant on the roof/ground)...

Mutitap has different connotations. In one case the primary can be 240/120 and may have 3 or 4 leads.
Fuse - Usually the 24 VAC secondary is fused. If not, it needs to be.

and finally, the 24 VAC has to be "phased" properly for the furnace flame detector to work.

The external wiring shorts sometimes. Debugging that is harder.

Post some pictures. Post the model # of the unit (hopefully it's the indoor unit) You can use Go advanced/manage attachments to post pics after about a day I think.

The fuse is typically an automotive style fuse on the secondary. the secondary (24 vac) is connected to C (Common) and R eventually.

If the flame won't prove, you have to flip the secondary wires.

A/C unit

The unit is a TRANE with heat pump. Will get the model number today. It is the interior we are working on. Originally we thought it was a bad breaker, replaced. The fan wouldn't turn on so the next thing we replaced was the transformer. Will take pics to post. My husband doesn't know how to wire that transformer to the fuse. We recently replaced the compressor outside. My husband has just finished his first HVAC class and electric class. He wants to triple check everything to make sure he does it right.

will post pics

Start over:

What was the sequence of events and why did you take the actions that were took? BTW, I do have an EPA certification. The easy one.

A/C wouldn't kick on. Originally replaced the breaker because there was a lot of rust on that particular one. Then, still didn't work so we replaced the transformer. It was probably originally hooked up right when my husband did it, but he had some moron friend of his come to "help". The fan acted like it wanted to turn on but didn't. Husband said that it wasn't getting all the voltage it was supposed to. He thinks his friend fried the transformer so he bought another one and is now unsure of what all the colored wires go to. Doesn't know what runs what if that makes any sense.

I think the root problem is that it isn't firing enough voltage to turn on the fan. It acted like it wanted too originally when we replaced the transformer the first time. Then the transformer got fried.

I think the root problem is that it isn't firing enough voltage to turn on the fan. It acted like it wanted too originally when we replaced the transformer the first time. Then the transformer got fried.

I don't think that's the root of the problem; I think the root of the problem is that someone is trying to fix something which they don't have the knowledge (yet) to fix - that can lead to a much more expensive problem.

Regardless, we can't help without seeing what we are trying to "fix" - post some pictures already.

uhhh...thanks crOsh for the input. I agree with you. However, explain to me, a woman, how I am supposed to tell a man, that he doesn't know what he is doing when it comes to something technical. We are generally presumed to be idiots when it comes to anything mechanical. Just saying.....

Again, back up.

Outside unit or inside unit fan. What do they do or don't do?

A Heat Pump isn't something you should start with.

Reccomendation is to cut your losses before they get bigger. If your having a hard time explaining the problem then I don't see how your going to troubleshoot it.

Somehow, I'm not even sure he can identify the evaporator fan, the indoor blower and the compressor. A low charge in particular can cause the outdoor unit to start brifly and shut down so can lots of other stuff. But I don't even know what we are talking about.

You need to be able to say something like "The outdoor unit's fan and compressor briefly come on in heat and cool modes. The blower in the house works fine in the heat, cool and fan positions otherwise call for on-site service for an outfit that services TRANE and tell them it doesn't work.

Last edited:
uhhh...thanks crOsh for the input. I agree with you. However, explain to me, a woman, how I am supposed to tell a man, that he doesn't know what he is doing when it comes to something technical. We are generally presumed to be idiots when it comes to anything mechanical. Just saying.....

An honest man (who is both honest with others -and- himself) would respectfully listen to his significant other, and make the judgement call accordingly to proceed or not, based on his honest assessment of his knowledge and understanding of the system as a whole.

If he is unable to say to himself "you know, I might be wrong, I am not sure I am qualified, I better call in the experts" - then there isn't much you can say to convince him. Prepare for the possibility of a large bill (either in the form of an ultimate service call from a professional repairman, or from him swapping parts until he's rebuilt the entire unit).

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back