Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A boat crosses a river (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time understanding this thing, I though I had to use pythagore but I don't know anymore :|

a) A boat crosses a river at a vectorial speed of 4.8m/s, going north.
The river has a current of 1.4m/s going west.
What's the apparent vectorial speed of the boat from the point of view of someone on the coast ?

b) from the observer point of view, whats the orientation of the boat ?

c) how long will the boat take to cross the river?

d) what's the deviation of the boat when it gets on the other shore ?

This helps for question a)
**broken link removed**

b) If the vectorial speed of the boat is towards north, then the orientation is to north.

c) How wide is the river? The boat is approaching the other side at 4.8 m/s.

d) How wide is the river? The boat is "deviating" at 1.4 m/s.

The insight needed to solve the problem is that the two velocity vectors add vectorially. Put a two-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system at rest on the bank of the river and draw a picture. Hopefully, the answer to a) is then obvious. The other answers just need simple kinematic equations.

Added: oops, didn't see misterT's response!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back