Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A bit of help for a confused newbie, a clock (and probably a stupid plan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krackatoa

Hello.
Ill start off by saying what i would like to achieve and take it from there..
I have a truck with an analogue clock that i would like to replace with a digital one.
At first i tried looking for clock that i could modify to fit into the space of the analogue clock but i couldn't find anything. So i decided to try and make one, and the good bit about that is i can make it so it fits perfect. :) I really like designing and building things (I practically live in my workshop) but most of the stuff i do is mechanical. I do work with electrics but i have never built anything like this before (semiconductors and the like).
I have done quite a bit of reading regarding how to build a digital clock (TTL) but there are a few bits i don't fully understand. (apart from basic electronics everything i know is self taught)
One thing is the voltage. The truck is 12v. Can i just use a 7805 to transform and regulate it to 5v?
Second thing (the one I'm most confused about). What should i use as a timer? Is it possible to use a 32.768 KHz quartz watch crystal? If it is, how do i convert this to 1 Hz using decade counters (74LS90)?
Any guidance or thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

You could use a 7805 to regulate the voltage.

If you divide a 32.768KHz signal by a 15 stage binary divider you will get 1Hz. A circuit such as the CD4536 can provide this required division. It's input can also be configured to operate as a crystal oscillator with the 32768Hz crystal.

But building a clock from scratch is not trivial. Perhaps a module such as this **broken link removed** would simplify the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back