Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A better 4:1 Mux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACF2802

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here (not really, I've tried to post this 3 times but the forum keep eating my darn post for some reason.)

I've been studying digital electronics, CMOS logic in particular.

While looking at a diagram for a 2:1 mux I though it was more complicated than it needed to be, being made of 2 transmission gates and an inverter. **broken link removed** Why cant it be made from just two transistors?

Anyway, here is a simulation I made using 3 of these purposed 2-transistor MUXs combined into a 4:1 mux.

**broken link removed**

Seems to work in simulation, is there a fundamental flaw I'm missing?

Thanks.

(PS. I wonder why the first three times I posted this it didn't show up? I have a supposition there is a flaw with the Preview Post button, because the first three times I hit submit after using preview, but this time I skipped the preview.)

Last edited:
Your ingenuity is admirable. The problem is, you're not using both the n-channel and p-channel devices to transmit the signal which will distort the signal if you're trying to send a rail-to-rail voltage, which is what CMOS muxes are typically used for.

For example, when both select lines are low, I believe Input A is selected, which then goes through the two p-channel devices to the output. This works fine for a high voltage signal, but a low voltage signal will be limited by the gate turn-on voltage of the p-channel device which is about 2-3V above ground for the source-drain.

You have the same problem when transmitting a signal near the supply rail through the n-channel devices.

That's why both n and p channel devices are used in a transmission gate--so that the gate has a low impedance for both high and low voltage signals.

If you put a significant load on your outputs (say 1k ohm to ground and a 1k ohm to the plus supply) your simulation should show this (if it's a SPICE type simulator).

As a famous physicist once said "Make it as simple as possible...but no simpler." There's a good reason that CMOS muxes are designed as they are.

As a famous physicist once said "Make it as simple as possible...but no simpler." There's a good reason that CMOS muxes are designed as they are.

I figured as much, I just wanted to hear that from someone and with an explanation for why.

Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back