Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

__CONFIG explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilarn

I am new to the PIC world... i have had some C and assembly, but i an not familiar with the __CONFIG and how this works...
Can anyone offer me a good explanation on this... this has to be utterly basic i know.

I am using (at least would like to) a PIC16F887.

THank you !

It's used for setting the configuration fuses - it's an assembler directive (instruction to the assembler, NOT a PIC instruction), the MPASM helpfile explains it.

In my dim understanding, the config file is a small set of data which is read from flash (non-volatile memory) on power-up. It configures programmable logic devices to define their personality and behavior. Such devices have huge internal logic arrays which can be mapped out and set up as needed by the config. This allows very general-purpose devices to serve very specific functions, depending on how you "config" them! :)

I am new to the PIC world... i have had some C and assembly, but i an not familiar with the __CONFIG and how this works...
Can anyone offer me a good explanation on this... this has to be utterly basic i know.

I am using (at least would like to) a PIC16F887.

THank you !
Suppose you have general study of the datasheet for 16F887, many clouds would be cleared. For C language related doubts you have to read and appreciate from the instruction manual of the software provider. You would get a better clarity. For left over issues you can always come back to electro-tech-online where the concerned experts would be rather happy to serve........

Thank you, this clears up alot with the configuration bits...

i will also take the advice and study more...

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back