Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9v Samsung Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

samarsingla

Does anyone know what is approx. charge rating of standard 9v batteries? Rechargeable ones have a rating of about 170 mAh but the non rechargeable ones have no rating. Please tell me if someone knows.
Thanx

Here's a Rayovac spec:

Attachments

• 9v specs.PNG
    9v specs.PNG
    67 KB · Views: 208
samarsingla said:
Does anyone know what is approx. charge rating of standard 9v batteries?

I didn't know you could recharge non-rechargable batteries. (standard)
Googling the subject only references charge rate for rechargables. Huh?

AllVol

Some peope think that ordinary alkaline batteries can be recharged. It is dangerous because they could leak or explode, and a "charge" lasts only a few minutes.

I think this is a semantics or "English as second language" issue. He clearly mentioned non-rechargeable batteries. I think he was just referring to the Amp-hour rating.

audioguru said:
Some peope think that ordinary alkaline batteries can be recharged. It is dangerous because they could leak or explode, and a "charge" lasts only a few minutes.
I've heard there is a way using low duty cycle pulses but I wouln't recommend it. I haven't tried it myself and you could be right but some people swear by it.

Yes, alakalines can be recharged often and safely if using the proper charging method. Do a web search and you'll come up with around a half-dozen circuits for such... some better than others. I have an older NiCad charger that I plan to midify for alkalines and lithiums. I'll install a switch to allow it to charge all three types.

Attachments

• ALKALINE CHARGER.JPG
    ALKALINE CHARGER.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
A lithium battery catches on fire if it is incorrectly charged. It gives a nice extremely hot white flame like magnesium. You don't want a lithium fire!

Recharge an "orinary batery"??
It probably works as well as they can spell. It has a high price and no spec's what-so-ever.

audioguru said:
Recharge an "orinary batery"??
It probably works as well as they can spell. It has a high price and no spec's what-so-ever.
$39 is high to you considering how quickly that adds up when buying alkalines over time? I have read quite a few articles on the very subjest and from what I gather, it's very possible and quite safe PROVIDED the proper charging circuit is used. Mfrgs. place those warning labels on the batteries since the avg. home charger isn't capable of safely charging an alkaline as well as it would diminish new battery sales thereby keeping some money in our pockets.!! And we can't have that, can we? ;)

HiTech said:
$39 is high to you considering how quickly that adds up when buying alkalines over time? I have read quite a few articles on the very subjest and from what I gather, it's very possible and quite safe PROVIDED the proper charging circuit is used. Mfrgs. place those warning labels on the batteries since the avg. home charger isn't capable of safely charging an alkaline as well as it would diminish new battery sales thereby keeping some money in our pockets.!! And we can't have that, can we? ;)
:confused: why not just get NiMH batteries? They are actually engineered to be rechargeable, they have higher capacities, and they are able to supply larger currents. They are cheap, too.

because there are so many alkalines out there as it is, they are cheap, and they can be recharged a ton of times provided you don't run them down to dead to begin with. It's just another form of recycling what's already out there as well as saving some money. Personally I already have a dozen 2500ma AA NiMh and several NiCad types. But I also have a shoe box full of alkalines that if recharged would benefit my children's toys, mp3 players, etc.

While the AA NiMh cell has a similar capacity to the same size alkaline, alkaline 9V, C/D cells have much greater capacities than NiMh.

Hero999 said:
While the AA NiMh cell has a similar capacity to the same size alkaline, alkaline 9V, C/D cells have much greater capacities than NiMh.
Energizer sells C and D Ni-MH cells with a dinky little AA cell inside. 2500mA/hrs.

Attachments

• Ni-MH cells.PNG
    Ni-MH cells.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 165
audioguru said:
Energizer sells C and D Ni-MH cells with a dinky little AA cell inside. 2500mA/hrs.
Yeah, I just saw that, too. How weird is that? You can get some pretty good C and D cell NiMH batteries, though. I've seen some that are up to 10000mAh.

**broken link removed**

10000mAh is definitely on par with alkaline for higher drain applications.

But that's expensive!

audioguru said:
Exactly, this isn't the case with the alkaline C and D cells.

poopeater said:
Yeah, I just saw that, too. How weird is that? You can get some pretty good C and D cell NiMH batteries, though. I've seen some that are up to 10000mAh.

**broken link removed**

10000mAh is definitely on par with alkaline for higher drain applications.
Does anyone know where to find specs on these? I currently lug around a 12AH SLA for my metal detector. Six of these would cut the weight to less than half, and at a reasonable price.

12 AH SLA battery in a metal detector? Boy that must fatigue your arm... or is it toted around in a plastic wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back