Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9pin serial connector for breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dak246

Does anyone know where to get one of those 9pin serial connectors(subd?) specifically for a breadboard, or a way to connect one to a breadboard. The ones i have are pcb mount but the pins dont conform to my breadboard so it doesnt fit, not to mention i had to tear of the solder lugs to even try and force it to fit. Can anyone help me out?

dak246 said:
Does anyone know where to get one of those 9pin serial connectors(subd?) specifically for a breadboard, or a way to connect one to a breadboard. The ones i have are pcb mount but the pins dont conform to my breadboard so it doesnt fit, not to mention i had to tear of the solder lugs to even try and force it to fit. Can anyone help me out?
you could allways take the breadboard apart.. if ya look under it you will see rows of clips...i soldered two 25 pin connectors on my breadboard this way...

just snap off 9 pins from one of those 1-row breakaway pin headers, and solder wires to a d-sub connector. or if you want something a little more solid, do it on a perfboard or etch an adaptor board up if you want something more polished looking and permanent.

I already have the pc mount ones and like Plot said the pins are offset so it doesnt fit. Crust do you know where i can find one of those old cards? If i cant find one of them ill just solder some wires to the pins like everyone else suggests. Thanks for the help.

crust said:
on the old i/o cards for PCs the serial port usually was a crimp type with a header on the other end. Those headers fit perfectly into breadboards.

really... that's very interested... now i have a reason to start salvaging old motherboards.

not necessairly perfect, they are the dual row headers, (0.1" spacing between all the pins, like a connector for a hard drive). so no matter how you connect it, you'll always have 2 pins connected to the same 5 pin row. (you need a 0.3" spacing between the rows to be able to connect it like an IC). I believe there was a topic a couple weeks ago talking about this problem.

At least this is how the cables were on all the motherboards I salvaged. (and I've salvaged quite a few)

jrz126 said:
not necessairly perfect, they are the dual row headers, (0.1" spacing between all the pins, like a connector for a hard drive). so no matter how you connect it, you'll always have 2 pins connected to the same 5 pin row. (you need a 0.3" spacing between the rows to be able to connect it like an IC).
True, i gathered people realized that you need to stick something between the connector and the breadboard since they are both female. I usually use a 5 pin header, since projects rarely use more than TX,RX,GND and all of them are on one of the rows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back