Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

90% efficient solar cells!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, any time there is announced a "more efficient solar cell" technology, you always see this kind of stuff, and then never hear anything more about it. In some cases, its a bunch of bunk, but even in cases like these, where there is actual research, development, etc - you still see nothing, even years later. For instance, I remember some hype about 5-8 years back about some kind of holographic filter or something that was being developed (in Tuscon, IIRC) that would separate out wavelengths of light, and direct them to solar cells optimized for those wavelengths, increasing the efficiency of the whole system by quite a lot (no where near 90% efficiency, but much better than what currently exists) - and that was the last of it I've heard of. They've had plenty of time to bring things to market, but I have yet to see it. Or, what about that whole "screen printed solar cells" technology that was developed in Japan? I've heard of outfits here in Arizona saying they were going to commercialize it and sell cheap solar panels - then nothing; that tech is well over 10 years old. I don't think there's conspiracy or scam here; most likely just market forces. Ultimately what I am saying about all of this is "I'll believe it when I can buy it"...

haha i def see what you mean. if i had the equipment i would try to build some... but the problem i think is that so little people have the right equipment to build such things and the technology required to manufacture these pannels out weigh a reasonable price that the cells can be sold for. i mean you could develop them but who know how much they would cost. i think that we just have to remember that development and production are two different things...

haha i def see what you mean. if i had the equipment i would try to build some... but the problem i think is that so little people have the right equipment to build such things and the technology required to manufacture these pannels out weigh a reasonable price that the cells can be sold for. i mean you could develop them but who know how much they would cost. i think that we just have to remember that development and production are two different things...

The claimed 90% efficiency would ensure swift production, pretty well regardless of cost - it sounds like the usual complete rubbish written about such things - it was probably a marketing presentation to try and sell shares in a dodgy company.

I read about these some years ago. They were calling them Nan-Tennas. They were claiming that they could be mass produced about as cheaply as rugs

The idea was they could absorb (or resonate to) any frequency to which they were manufactured and that resonation could be put through some king of oscillator which would convert it into electricity. The claims were that there were no practical limits to the forms or EM or infa red radiation these Nan-Tennas could w be tuned to. The earth your car's engine or exhaust, the night sky, etc.

At the time I wondered how one would keep them clean enough to operate.
I mean rugs?

I can tell you from direct and often repeated experiences that it is bloody god dammed hard to find the money to start-up manufacturing of anything at all and worse if no one has already enjoyed the pleasures of the thing/s you want to produce. Meaning they have to first be sold on why they should pour money (which they cold more easily put to work in known investments) down your glorified rat hole.
So absent some really excited eccentric rich dude, the inventor is all by himself in a universe that doesn't give a damn abut anything but the bottom line today - the hell with tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's always been hard to find funding, but this supposed 90% efficiency wouldn't have a problem in this day and age, with governments falling over each other to subsidise solar power etc.

If the idea worked, it's already out there, then existing solar panel manufacturers would be already selling them.

i think regardless of how effecient they are the solar panel manufacturers dont have the equipment to make nano-diodes. i mean businesses are all about business, if they can make more money one way, then thats the way there going to choose. it takes some pretty sophisticated machines to make that kind of stuff, i think that the reason no one is making these things is because of the cost of the equipment, someone at a university capable of producing such cells needs to try and manufacture one, or a few, for a demonstration and hopfully a manufacture will make an investment

i think regardless of how effecient they are the solar panel manufacturers dont have the equipment to make nano-diodes. i mean businesses are all about business, if they can make more money one way, then thats the way there going to choose. it takes some pretty sophisticated machines to make that kind of stuff, i think that the reason no one is making these things is because of the cost of the equipment, someone at a university capable of producing such cells needs to try and manufacture one, or a few, for a demonstration and hopfully a manufacture will make an investment

Sorry, but I think you're just dreaming, believing the lies put out to scam money off people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back