Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9 volt spark generator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedrf

I need some help in a way to make a spark generator, that could be powered by a 9 volt battery. Many home gas BBQ grills use this type of ignition system, but the cost to replace them is very high. I was thing there must be a cheaper way to build one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

You might be able to build one, but how would you know if it was safe? Would you want to risk your home, your life, and the lives of your family on a homebrew device?

I'll be glad to nominate you for a Darwin Award.

I doubt that anyone would be killed with a 9 volt battery. All you need is a transformer and current interupter (momentary push button switch). An automotive ignition coil will work.

wickedrf said:
I need some help in a way to make a spark generator, that could be powered by a 9 volt battery. Many home gas BBQ grills use this type of ignition system, but the cost to replace them is very high. I was thing there must be a cheaper way to build one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I don't understand why it must be 9v. An electronic bug zapper might do it:
**broken link removed** Some modifications have to be made for sure.
Or why not a pizo electric lighter that can be bought in the $$$ stores for a few bucks.

Russlk said:
I doubt that anyone would be killed with a 9 volt battery. All you need is a transformer and current interupter (momentary push button switch). An automotive ignition coil will work.
It's not the 9V battery, its the unanticipated spark at the wrong time causing an unexpected rapid oxidation event.

Papabravo said:
It's not the 9V battery, its the unanticipated spark at the wrong time causing an unexpected rapid oxidation event.
That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. What does the power source have to do with the potential of a gas explosion? Having numerous sparks at the start of gas turn on is perfectly safe, but a single one that very late makes nice big boom. Non of which have anything to do with the power source.

Russlk said:
Perfect, thank you for the help.

Rolf said:
That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. What does the power source have to do with the potential of a gas explosion? Having numerous sparks at the start of gas turn on is perfectly safe, but a single one that very late makes nice big boom. Non of which have anything to do with the power source.
I said "it is not the 9V battery". We agree on that. He wants to make a homebrew igniter for his grill. Since he does not seem to have a clue about what he is doing the potential for an accident seems high.

How about a Stun gun or a Dazer circuit?

Attachments

• dazer.gif
    dazer.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 5,601
  • stun_gun.gif
    stun_gun.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 5,030
Papabravo said:
I said "it is not the 9V battery". We agree on that. He wants to make a homebrew igniter for his grill. Since he does not seem to have a clue about what he is doing the potential for an accident seems high.
Again I never said it was for a grill application, I said grills use them and are exspensive to buy replacements. What is your problem sir? You don't know a thing about me or what my abilities may be, still you feel the need to make comment of how clueless I am. If you don't have anything to add pertaining to my question, other than your worthless opinion, move on and leave me alone. There are people who have the comprehention to read my question and understand what I am looking to do. Thanks to all for the positve remarks and ideas
The dazer or stun idea is perfect, lot of hot spark istantly.

for $1, you can get a 'wand' type lighter. It comes with a "free" piezoelectric spark generator. There you go.

Those ignotors are piezo. Very simple and cheap, the only expensive part may be to get a unit that fits the speicifc grill. As some guy siad, those gas ignitors are cheap, ad are piezo cigarette lighters.

If you want another solution, a cheap disposable camera with a flash, ready made. Use the centre 'trigger' connection from the centre of the Xenon flash tube. It's about 4-6kv very low current just be careful not to let the two wires from the main cap touch, or discharge through anything, its pretty potent, in fact, you could probably take that out, and just use the flash trigger circuit

my two cents,

Blueteeth

How about wearing wool socks while dragging your feet on carpet? Hold a key in your hand and touch an AC outlet ----- spark!

HiTech said:
How about wearing wool socks while dragging your feet on carpet? Hold a key in your hand and touch an AC outlet ----- spark!

Good idea.

Or, maybe, instead of using wool socks, you could rub some party baloons in your hair. It sparks too.

hi,
i want to do the same thing, a spark generator that uses a 9v battery. the purpuse is to make my spud gun go off everytime. i do not like the piezos because the spark isnt always working.

i like the idea of the second daze gun on post #11 because it has repetitive sparks and looks simple enough. but there are a few thing i do not understand about the schematic.

the 9v battery gives DC voltage, and the circuit uses a transformer. arent transformers for AC ? also can someone explain what the transistor do exactly ?

secondly, since i only want a spark to ignite gaz in the spud gun, do i need as much tension ? could i use an op amp to boost the tension and still get a decent spark ? ( i cannot find a transfo, i know they can be taken from old stereo, but sadly i do not possess one.)

else, what is the needed tension to get a spark ? cuz i do not want to electrocute people, i just want to shoot potatoes at them hehe (kidding)

I'm so very new to all this. thanks in advance.

Lespoils

In the first schematic, the transistors take the 9Vdc and oscillate it.
In the second, the 555 creates a squarewave and the transistor boosts the 555 output.

No, you CANNOT use a OPAMP to amplify high-voltage.

To know the voltage to get a spark, you must know the dielectrics characteristics of the media in which you want to generate the spark.
But, for air, it starts at 5kV, usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back