Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8x switch position indicator (indicator seperated by 20m fibre optic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok hey all! Let me set the sceen...

there is an array of 8 (key) switches in one box...
and an array of 8 indicators in another box...
These two boxes are connected Via 20m of Fibre Optic cable.

The idea is by turning on one (or more) of the 8 key switches on box 'A' to have a relivent indicator on box 'B'.

i am thinking in my head some kind of time sharing ccti n box 'A' allowing each key (once energised) in turn to send its own freq down the fibre optic to box 'B'.
Box 'B' will then have a set of 8 filters each tuned to the freq of the relevent switch. once the filter recieves the appropiate freq sig then it iluminates its indicator for a short Time.

I went through and made a basic cct ages ago that was a matter of a few relays and copper lines instead of the fibre but it was just below standard. What are ppls ideas??

Help is really appreciated!!
Thanx Guys:D

Someone would need to confirm this, but wouldn't this be possible with an 8bit multiplexer on one end and a demux on the other end?

hi,
Why a fibre optic link and not just a length of multicore cable.?

The fibre optic is because the Box 'A' is to be placed in a SECRET
compartment where there is to be no external transmissin of any RF
developed/recieved in the compartment. So if i was to use a copper line or
anything similar we would run the risk of certain RF using the line as an
antenna. So fibre is the simplist way i thought around this. But then
again now that u have me thinking, i might be able to put a filter
on/along the line to stop RF... Hrmm *scratches Head* What do u recon???

What Eric meant was, if you are going to run a cable, why not run a multicore cable instead of fibre. I'm sure you can find a 10core (8 + ground) multicore, it will obviously not be as thin as the fibre, but it will simplify your life.

Edit: most multicore I know of has a shield of some description, as simple as it may be, it still solves this antenna issue...

It however can go cactus, as once, one of the shields in this particular microphone cable we were using for a production went AWOL and we were picking up a local AM radio station clear as day... not good however, considering it was a roof mounted mic and all the seating had to be moved to replace it >.<"

Last edited:
hrmmm yeah i am thinking of the complications with the fibre and suddenlf a filter doesnt seem to hard in comparrison.

so has anyone tried ne thing like this before?

hrmmm yeah i am thinking of the complications with the fibre and suddenlf a filter doesnt seem to hard in comparrison.

so has anyone tried ne thing like this before?

hi J,
Its standard practice.:)
Another advantage of course is by using a 10 core multiway cable, with a screen, you can supply the 'lamp' voltages.

I apologise for the rather bad job I've done in paint but I hope you get the idea....
You will of course need to choose the correct resistance values for the LEDs you use, if you end up using LEDs.

Attachments

• Drawing.jpg
    Drawing.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back