Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

80W power source

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see now...I had missed that point. But then the 9V battery is not supplying the 80W, the capacitor is.

The same formula applies:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/PIC_T-UP_SERIES_DNE-1.pdf

0.1F, 15mΩ, 9V yields a peak power of 1350W into a 15mΩ resistor.

Capacitor is storing the energy from battery and allowing to dissipate at a much faster rate (Watts)than that is possible by the battery directly (due to its internal resistance). Right?

That's true and this principle certainly is used in a camera flash but a boost converter is required to increase the voltage to >300V.

Large capacitors are often used like this because it dramatically increase the peak current a power supply can provide.

Last edited:
That's true and this principle certainly is used in a camera flash but a boost converter is required to increase the voltage to >300V.

Large capacitors are often used like this because it dramatically increase the peak current a power supply can provide.
Yes, I know, it is just that your original statements seemed like you were talking about taking it directly from the 9V battery.

That's true.

Nicads can probably supply more current than alkaline but I still don't think they can supply 81W.

Can I generate 80Watts of power with a portable battery?

What battery do you have in mind?

Blueroomelectronics' question is still unanswered: We don't know what kind of battery we are talking about.

Some answers are about a 9v "transistor battery", which of course can not provide 80 W.

But a battery is a battery :p And they come in lota of sizes and capacities.

A car's battery certainly can provide 80 W - Just leave your headlights on (while the motor is not running) and you have more than 100 W for some time - And then there are even bigger:D batteries

Blueroomelectronics' question is still unanswered: We don't know what kind of battery we are talking about.

Some answers are about a 9v "transistor battery", which of course can not provide 80 W.

But a battery is a battery :p And they come in lota of sizes and capacities.

A car's battery certainly can provide 80 W - Just leave your headlights on (while the motor is not running) and you have more than 100 W for some time - And then there are even bigger:D batteries
I did answer as to what kind of battery can supply that much... 7.2V NiMH R/C packs are regularly called upon to deliver 20A continuous, around 100-140W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back