Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8051 programmer.. pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperadogear

im a novice programmer.. kindly help me with the links for an 8051 programmer and d software related to it..

earlier ive attempted to program ATmega8535 but that ic is not available in india... if any of u have idea where to place a request for a sample ic for college project pls tell

Not sure if you can still get them, but in the old days when I did microprocessors. Dallas Semi had a DS5000. An 8051 chip you
would program via the com port. See what they might have. Think it
had a RTC as well.

Otherwise, why not google for "intel 8051 programmer software"

That is what I would do.

desperadogear said:
kindly help me with the links for an 8051 programmer and d software related to it

I have a question. Where do you want to store the program when you are done? Directly in the 8051 chip (if it supports it), or do you want to use external EEPROM for your code and have it connected to the 8051 at run time?

The former option is good, if you are looking for compactness, if you need more ports to play with (up to 26 I think), or if you have an extra-low budget.

The latter is better in my opinion. Even though more chips are required for the 8051 to work in this mode, it is still better, because the EEPROM is separated from the processor, and if you have 500 programs on 500 EEPROM's and all EEPROM's are the same, pick an eeprom, plug it in, and you are ready to go.

Also, you are likely to have alot more storage space. the 8051 generally supports up to 64KB of external code memory, or 16KB of internal code memory.

If you use memory that is a multiple of 64KB, you can have several 64KB programs on the same chip, and use the high unused address bits to select the program to run.

Remember, the 8051 cannot directly access more than 64KB of memory.

As for the software, It is up to you. Most users use an assembler and then a compiler for their specific programmer. however what I do is use Quickbasic to make the whole package.

The EASIEST way out is to buy the programmer.

mstechca said:
however what I do is use Quickbasic to make the whole package.

mstechca said:
The difference between me and the rest of the microcontroller users on this site is that I directly program them through the parallel port. Other users use software designed to accept code from a common language like C, and use compilers to create the proper hex file which is then downloaded into the microcontroller.

hyedenny said:
mstechca said:
however what I do is use Quickbasic to make the whole package.

mstechca said:
The difference between me and the rest of the microcontroller users on this site is that I directly program them through the parallel port. Other users use software designed to accept code from a common language like C, and use compilers to create the proper hex file which is then downloaded into the microcontroller.

He never makes any sense, why expect him to now?.

mstechca said:
I have a question. Where do you want to store the program when you are done? Directly in the 8051 chip (if it supports it), or do you want to use external EEPROM for your code and have it connected to the 8051 at run time?.........
mstechca's beautiful advice to a novice asking help :?

mstechca's beautiful advice to a novice asking help :?

It's better than giving a 6-page answer.

Nigel, It is called pure creativity. :wink:

mstechca (hopefully not related to MicroSoft Tech support Canada)

I love your old post mstechca, some are awesome and funny. 1540+ posts of near useless drivel.

mstechca said
I ought to knock myself out now, because I always thought that latches never held data, and I all the time before thought it was just a circuit that either outputs the input or outputs high impedance. ...
:D

mistakeca said:
Nigel, It is called pure creativity.

If youre going to quote me, please quote the whole thing!

"...no knowledge - just puuuure creativity... "

HI WILLIAM! Im a mistakeca fan too!

desperadogear said:
im a novice programmer.. kindly help me with the links for an 8051 programmer and d software related to it..

earlier ive attempted to program ATmega8535 but that ic is not available in india... if any of u have idea where to place a request for a sample ic for college project pls tell
You can buy this low cost MCS51/AVR programmer https://www.ucmicrosys.com/ucflash.htm

ATMega8535 is available in Mumbai. Where are you located?

William At MyBlueRoom said:
mstechca (hopefully not related to MicroSoft Tech support Canada)
I'm not related to them.

I love your old post mstechca, some are awesome...
thank you.

1540+ posts of near useless drivel.
you think so?

I did with desperadogear, and I make sense with people who want to make sense with me. :lol:

In case you can't make out the attachment, here is his quote.

hi thanks for caring to reply

im doing a college project and i want to store d program in d chip memory itself. im wondering where would i find d circuit on d net. and i dont think i can buy d programmer cos im not sure if its available here in inida

can u help me with d circuit of d programmer or tell me where can we place an order for that

desperadogear, You will need to check the datasheet of the chip you are interested in since some chips require a different programming sequences than other chips. I think that some chips start with certain numbers for a reason. I learned that the 28C ROM chips work with 5V, and the 29F ROM chips are flash rom.

Also, you could do a search for "<chip #> programmer" where <chip #> is the number found on your chip.

He also send me another message 6 minutes later. It is as follows:

in our college we ve got a 8051 programmer for practical purpose. im not sure if i can use it for program..... it has a screen and weve to enter d opcodes in order and use d run button on it check result ... have any idea abt this

desperadogear, I can't answer that question because I don't know the circuit to the program, and I don't know the software you are using.

Why the chip programmer is important? It is the middleman between the computer software and the chip itself. The computer software delivers data through a computer port (serial, parallel, or maybe USB) that the programmer recognizes. The programmer then takes this data, and correctly programs the chip.

Attachments

• frame1_199.gif
    frame1_199.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 656
You're translating "in d chip memory itself" as "in external chip memory" when it could easily mean "in the 8051 chip memory itself". It could easily go both ways. In fact I would be inclined to say it sounds more likely to be the on board 8051 memory he is talking about.

Either way, without knowing any more details, like the chip variant, it's impossible to offer much help here. The original poster has likely been scared off now anyway.

Nice "evidence" though. Not certain what it's supposed to prove, but you certainly went out of your way to record this broken English evidence of something. No offence to the original poster, who I assume does not speak English as their first language.

Nice "evidence" though. Not certain what it's supposed to prove, but you certainly went out of your way to record this broken English evidence of something.
I didin't want to show it because the english is broken.

I want to show it because a few users (you know who you are) think I give useless answers, or dont make any sense.

hi thanks to everyone.. i got myself ATMega8535 and AVRISP mk2.. now how do i program the chip without any target chip. i read in the hardware that every connections from the ISP cable should be connected to pull up resistors and connected to decoupling capacitors.. can anyone post any sample circuit . i wish to write a simple leds program first and test it on a bred board.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back