Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 MHz micro board using RS232 for fast daq. questionsss

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

Hi, I am going to use 8 Mhz microcontroller to output 2 different data every half second, so i guess 8 bit data every 1/4 sec. I will do this until 2000 data entries are made. I then need to manipulate this data e.g put in graph, export it ect. First of all using the serial port will i be able to read data every 1/4 secs with out screwing up. I guess what im trying to say is, approx how long does it take to read 8 bit data via rs232. 2nd of all im wondering what software i should use to view my results. Using the software i currently use MIdi ide its impossible to manipulate data. All it does it allows me to view it.
Do you think Labview would be a good choice. any ideas? Iv never used labview with microcontrollers and im not familiar with labview. would this software work. Would it collect the info from my rs232 then have it saved so that i could **** with the data later? thank you.

Re: 8 MHz micro board using RS232 for fast daq. questionss

cubdh23 said:
Hi, I am going to use 8 Mhz microcontroller to output 2 different data every half second, so i guess 8 bit data every 1/4 sec. I will do this until 2000 data entries are made. I then need to manipulate this data e.g put in graph, export it ect. First of all using the serial port will i be able to read data every 1/4 secs with out screwing up. I guess what im trying to say is, approx how long does it take to read 8 bit data via rs232. 2nd of all im wondering what software i should use to view my results. Using the software i currently use MIdi ide its impossible to manipulate data. All it does it allows me to view it.
Do you think Labview would be a good choice. any ideas? Iv never used labview with microcontrollers and im not familiar with labview. would this software work. Would it collect the info from my rs232 then have it saved so that i could [bleep] with the data later? thank you.

You don't mention what processor you are planning using, and I've never heard of Labview.

But a simple PIC running at 4MHz using a software UART can easily do all you require.

At 9600 baud you transfer 960 characters per second, so one 8 bit byte will only take 1.04mS - this leaves you 248.96mS to do something with it before the next data byte comes along. This is an massive amount of time, when a 4MHz PIC takes 1uS per instruction.

1/4 second is a long time for anything electronic, I can't imagine anything which couldn't cope.

every simple visual basic programmer

can make for you a program whit a watch..

that reads the comport out for information...

and then it wil save it for you in a CSV file and

then you can go to excel for your graphs or other ****..

or doit whit the vb prog..

and send directly to mail when values ar below a trehhold or somehting..

the limit is what you think it is..

TKS

Labview would be great for this task. It has really easy RS232 access blocks. It takes a little while to get used to the dataflow programming used in labview but it is super easy to use when you get the idea. Their help functions are also quite good.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back