Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8-bit bidirectional universal shift register ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolguy

Hello ,
I have used 74hc164 serial to parallel output shift register .
now i want to change the direction of output in oppsite to it google
suggested this 74F198 and 74ls166
what is the differ ace

I would not trust the source of information you found with Google is it suggests a 74LS166 as a device to meet your requirements. (But I cheated - I looked at the data sheets.) Surely the manufacturers data sheet should be the first thing to look at to see if a device meets your needs.

Les.

Hello ,
I have used 74hc164 serial to parallel output shift register .
now i want to change the direction of output in oppsite to it google
suggested this 74F198 and 74ls166
what is the differ ace

Hi,

You mean switch from going serial to parallel to going parallel to serial, or you want to change the serial direction?

Also, you should stay with the same logic family.

My interpretation was that he wanted to be able to shift in both direction. If MrAl has interpreted meaning correctly then my comment about the 74LS166 is not valid.

Les.

Hi,

Yes unfortunately the original post was not clear at all. There are a number of possible interpretations...

1. Change from going from S to P to going from P to S, or vice versa.
2. Change the direction of the serial data from going left to right to going right to left.
3. #2 hard wired (pin arrangement) or #2 software (able to change direction multiple times on the fly).

There are chips that can do these things but i havent checked pricing, and of course #2 hardwired just means changing the pin ordering to go backwards.

I also mentioned staying with the original logic family assuming that the rest of the circuit has the same (HC) type devices. It is often not a good idea to go from one family to another unless you've researched the ramifications. Going from a slower family to a faster family for example (F) could cause the faster device to pick up multiple clocks from a single family clock pulse, as well as possible logic voltage level incompatibilities.

HI again,
I have use 74hc164 shift register work fine , when i want to rotate data i.e. move left to right or right to left in display how to o this?

I didn't think those shift registers do what you want... Serial in serial out, Parallel in parallel out..

You can't shift backwards on any of those chips.. You need something like an 74ls323 with shift left and right...

one more solution require is that if any one want to control the ac load from it output without relay is this possible??

one more solution require is that if any one want to control the ac load from it output without relay is this possible??
AC!!! Only by using a triac... Why would you be controlling AC from a shift register??

AC!!! Only by using a TRIAC.. Why would you be controlling AC from a shift register??
yes decoration from led light.
anyway today i was getting 220V AC Rectified by 4 diode and 2uF 50V. to get 400V of C i have connected 8 capacitor of 2uF in series positive to positive side of Ac to DC supply.
Please tell how to control the
as same of 12V we get 18V dc ouput but the lead wire from AC is buring in short what may be problem to to Get ac 220V recf?

Hi,

Try a solid state relay.

koolguy,
Have you tried reading the data sheets on the two devices yet. If you have then which part do you not understand.

Les.

Ian I sorry about the rating I think my phone had a mind off it's own i didn't hit dislike.
Triac good idea logic level one's work great and even some with zero crossing too.

One more problem is that the i was converting AC 220V to DC .
i adopt a method of bridges rectifiers 1N4007 with 50V 22uF connected in series of 400V i.e. 8 pcs. after that series resistance of 68K it was giving 3mA after connecting one more 34K the current was 6mA.
but the lead is damaging from hot something. please clear the way.
how to control and flash led string from main?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back