Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7805 USB Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi what we going to build is a USB Charger this is a special one which excepts input voltages from 8-35 to build it we will need
7805 Voltage Regulator
USB Type A Female connector (you can get one by chopping off one on an extension cord).
.1uF capacitor
470uF capacitor
Heatsink for the 7805 regulator
An end you want for power input (example Cigarette Lighter, Remote Control Car Battery, etc).
A Case to put it in.

Tested on
Blackberry 8530 Works!
**broken link removed**
Video:
Post Comments back on phones you tested when building this circuit and tell me if it worked or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should swap the positions of the two capacitors. No need for such a big cap on the input to the regulator.

And at 35 volts I suspect that little chip is gonna get pretty hot ... but congratulations anyhow.

i agree, a larger capacitor would be required on input side due to spikes in the cars electrical system, after the regulator the voltage will be pretty stable and require minor smoothing

Seems to me that "large spikes", if they have fast rise times, would be better handled by a smaller capacitor, not a larger one.

Big caps are used to filter out ripple, not transients.

Even though its probably cheaper to buy a car charger, Its great to see you have worked out how to make one & built it. Great job. Daryl

Seems to me that "large spikes", if they have fast rise times, would be better handled by a smaller capacitor, not a larger one.

Big caps are used to filter out ripple, not transients.
Depends upon the duration of the transient. I would do a belt and suspenders approach and use both types of caps in parallel at the input. For even better suppression I would add a small resistor (1Ω, 1W) in series between the battery and the caps.

The output just needs the small cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back