Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74xx393 strange behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlPhart

Howdy, I've used this dual 4 bit binary counter in a Lot of designs. This one has me pulling hair: tie the B side clock to bit3 of A for an 8 bit counter. Feed A side clock with a rotary encoder. Take all 8 outputs into a CD4021 parallel->serial shift register. Read the encoder count by a pulse of the shift/load line then 8 clock pulses into the micro. Subtract the previous count from the current count to get # counts this period.

Simple, can't miss an encoder pulse (if period vs encoder speed doesn't overrun 256), perhaps elegant. Here's the rub: about half work as expected, the other half have counter problems. Most failures are the 1st F/F having same waveform as the input: not dividing by 2. Some exhibit this on the 1st and 2nd F/Fs. A couple have the 2nd F/F adding transitions: divide by 2 then only by 1... erratically. Some boards you can make behave by putting a locally ungrounded (!) scope probe on the problem line, others ignore any such "tapping".

I started out using the HC family, but tried changing to the LS... no avail. I have both S/R & counter adequately bypassed, all boards are built the same, with minor layout differences. No apparent correlation of layout or part family to behavior. I'm missing something, but what? TNX <<<)))

hi Ol.
Do you have a circuit diagram you could post, it will help us see what the problem might be.
Eric

Trouble is The second 4 bit counter needs its clock high to start with, bit 0 (bit 4 in this case), so you need a soft start on the clk/q3 connection.. Other wise it starts counting at 0x10....

I put the soft start on both MR pins.... That seems to have corrected it..

Howdy and thanks for the responses. I knew what I posted wasn't sufficiently described, and didn't take time to sketch a schematic.

However, a reapproach pointed out the answer: replacing the encoder with a function generators' square wave works fine. I'm not conditioning the encoder signal right. Now that I know the cause, solving it is fairly straightforward. Perhaps just posting was enough to sweep the cobwebs from my thinking... Thanks again <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back