Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74LS90 act like 4017 counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ald

How can I configure a 74Ls90 to act like a 4017 decade counter. I don't want BCD out want one single pulse per clock, I only need to count to 4.

Hi Ald,

the SN74LS90 is a binary counter while the CD4017 is a decimal counter.

To count from zero to 4 the outputs of an LS90 are:
0000, 0001, 0010, 0011, 0100.

It's easier to make the CD4017 count to four by resetting it at count five. Connect Q4 (count five output) to pin15 (MR) of the counter to reset it to zero.

Boncuk

Hi
I am doing a simulation and I don't have a model for the 4017 only the ls90, so I'm trying to work around. I can't even get the LS90 to count in BCD at the moment

This is what I have at the moment.

Attachments

• LS90.JPG
    LS90.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 183
You should tie R0(1) pin3 and R9(1) pin6 to ground.

Boncuk

Hi,

Make the connections as follows...

Put your clock to input A.
Connect QA to input B.
Connect R0(1) to QA.
Connect R0(2) to QC.
Connect R9(1) to ground.
Connect R9(2) to ground.
Take your three outputs from QA, QB, and QC.
The count will go from 0 to 4 and then back to 0 again: 0,1,2,3,4,0,1,2,3,4,...etc.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Ok sure, and if it doesnt work then something else must be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back