Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74HCT164 operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtalk

Hi there guys,

I'm building a circuit using the diagrams shown at http://jap.hu/electronic/lcdif.html. I normaly program via PICC and am unable to fully understand what is happening in the .asm file that is provided on that page. On top of that i'm unable to get the code there to compile via MPLAB IDE 7.20 due to missing code and lines that the complier complains about. I'm not to concerned about all that because i've read thru all the documentation shown at http://www.rentron.com/Myke1.htm and am unsure if the 74LS174 operates the same as the 164 does. If I understand all this correctly I have to set RB6(data) to 0, have RB5(clock) go from 0 to 1 and back 6 times which clears the shift register, then I have RB6(data) change to 1 and at that point I get sort of lost because I don't understand what is ment by RS and I don't understand what is ment by 2Qo and 3Qo etc. Can anyone give me an example of how to make say Q0 or Q1 output??

I would assume that all 74x164's would have identical truth tables. The only exceptions that I've ever found were the 74Cxxx chips that tent to have active HIGH asynchronous inputs while the other 74XXxxx chips have active LOW asynchronous inputs (excepting the notorious 74xx9x ripple counters. Also, within the non-CMOS set, the 74123 has a slightly different truth table than does the 74LS123.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back